Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do I change the line on a victa swift start straight shaft line trimmer?

briano74
Finding My Feet

How do I change the line on a victa swift start straight shaft line trimmer?

The manual does not seem to show the model I have - a bump head - and I am having difficulty putting in new line. Any advice. Should I just get the metal head - seems a lot easier

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: how do I change the line on a victa swift start straight shaft line trimmer

Hi @briano74,

Could you possibly share a photo of your trimmer so members can see what you are working with? It might help identify your model and provide more specific and helpful advice. 

I will also ask @MitchellMc to assist when he gets back on the site tomorrow. 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. We're pleased to have you join us and are sure you will get plenty of helpful information, advice and inspiration from our wonderful members. Feel free to post anytime you need a hand. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @briano74. It's terrific to have you join us, and many thanks for your question.

I believe this would be the manual for your machine. Even if it is not, it appears to illustrate the Victa bump feed head on pages nine and ten. The pictures will most likely illustrate the procedure better than I can through text.

It is easy to replace the line on the metal head. However, if you have a lot of hard edging, you will replace the short piece of line very frequently.

Please let me know if you have trouble following these directions or have questions.

Mitchell

6D624D5F-6F23-428F-8F4D-E119906F6E39.jpeg

19D538B4-FF3E-480E-9626-AC6C23BD6A31.jpeg

9C06ED9A-B029-463F-8C5F-3CEB7898C9C0.jpeg

61AC7C9E-1B9D-42C8-8BAB-131ECB6FE31D.jpeg

 It does not appear like the bump head in the manual. I have removed the metal part and fed it around inside but it does not appear to feed well at all.

There is no equivalent lower and upper spool. Have taken it apart and does not appear like the head in the manual. Am familiar with that type from a previous Ryobi bump head with that configuration. Is it possible to bring it into a store for some assistance??

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @briano74,

Many thanks for the additional details and pictures. This is an Oregon Gator SpeedLoad Trimmer Head which uses a cartridge system. Oregon Gator SpeedLoad Trimmer Line .095" would be the correct replacement product. You'll place the cartridge onto the internal cast metal plate and feed the lines out the guides on the side. Once you have fixed the cartridge in position, you can then clip the head back together and begin trimming.

I've included a video below of the cartridge installation process.

Please let me know if you need further help or had questions.

Mitchell

MitchellMc_0-1607899385463.gif

Thanks for all your help with this 

Hello Mitchell, @MitchellMc @Jason 

I have a victa swift start with a bent attachment and has a Oregon Gator speedload head.

I want to replace the head with a bumpfeed which wan be manual wound.

I bought a saber cut cyclotron but dd not work, Mostly due to the thread direction .

Could you help me on a suitable bump feed head ?

Thanks

Manju

Hi @Manjuchande,

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's great to have you join us. 

Mitchell is on leave at the moment, but let me tag our other resident Bunnings D.I.Y. expert @EricL to assist you. 

I imagine he might need a photo of your tool or the model number please. 

Jason

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Manjuchande 

If you have the Victa 25.4cc Swift Start Bent / Split Shaft Trimmer and you want to put the default Victa bump head that came with the unit you'll need to order the BP50001R BUMPHEAD DIATOP at the special orders desk. This is the original bump head that is indicated in the Victa parts manual. However, the Saber Cut Trimmer Cyclotron™ Trimmer Head comes with two adapters, have you tested the other adapter to see if it might fit? 

I've linked a handy video below to give you an idea of how the Saber Cut is modified if you need to use the other fitting.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects