Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do I install an outlet for a wicking bed after it has been completed?

Pearl1
Growing in Experience

How do I install an outlet for a wicking bed after it has been completed?

My partner was making a small wicking bed for me however, he passed away two weeks ago.  He complained about an abdominal pain, he must have been quite sick when he started making the wicking bed because a week later he was admitted to the hospital and passed away in less than 4 weeks. He was always very thorough, being an engineer, however, he must have forgotten to install an outlet because he was not well.  He had made a few wicking bed over the years to grow veggies.   Last Sunday, I went out to the garden for the first time after 5 weeks, I found this new bed is filled with water and I am looking for help to explain how I can install an outlet to release the water.  Can anyone help with suggestions on how to install an outlet or what do I need to do to release the water.  Appreciates any help, Thanks

Pearl1
Growing in Experience

Re: How do I install an outlet for a wicking bed after it has been completed?

Thanks Noelle,

I will order some fine wire mesh from Bunnings.  Before I do that I will check what we have in the workshop.  Athol has a lot of different types of wire mesh which we used around the garden beds to stop the rabbits getting into the potatoes which are grown at ground level.  The compost bins continuous set of divided bins and with open top made of timber, and the front of the bin has slots to enable us to remove the timber slots, so that we can get to the compost easily.  I encase the compost bins with wire mesh, I will need to transfer all existing compost out of the bins first.  So will need to take measurements of the bin size.

Thanks for your suggestions, I will give it a go.

Pearl1
Growing in Experience

Thanks Mitchell

Appreciates your offer.  I am not much of a handy person, can use certain gardening tools, not good with other tools, and I am prepared to learn if you can assist.  Most of our friends always asked Athol for help as they are not "hands-on" people also, as most are "city Slickers" so to speak and gardening or working with tools is their thing.  If appropriate when the lockdown is over, would appreciate if you can help me understand how to use most of the tools in the workshop, that would be much appreciated.  

We live in Kallista on Ridge Road, and when appropriate will give you my contact details if you can kindly help me use the tools.  I don't like to impose on people, and would appreciate learning how to use the tools.  

Thanks and appreciate your kind offer.

Pearl

Pearl1
Growing in Experience

Thanks Red,

I believe we have the pliers and some wires but not sure of edging pins.  Thanks for the picture, it helps a lot when going through the workshop.  We buy from Bunnings and thanks for your help as it makes it easier for me to identify what I need.

Pearl

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Pearl1,

I'm in Sydney, but I'm sure we can all work together to assist with you learning how to use your tools via Workshop.

Over the past 20-odd years working for Bunnings, I've had the pleasure of assisting countless women who were in the same situation as yourself. The first months were always the hardest, and many times the only service I could provide was a shoulder to cry on and a hug. It was always a delight seeing them come into the store week after week, gaining more knowledge and confidence as they went. I know it can be a daunting time and somewhat overwhelming, but I can confidently say just like all those other wonderful ladies, you'll soon be using those tools like a professional. I'm positive that after some time, you'll be brushing dust off tools your husband hadn't used in many years.

Perhaps you might like to choose a tool a week and post a picture with questions you might have about its use. Our helpful community members and I could then give you advice on how to use it effectively. 

I'm looking forward to joining you on this journey. Remember, we're always here to help anytime you need.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Pearl1
Growing in Experience

Thanks Mitchell, 

Its encouraging that you guys are so caring and thanks for the shoulder as I needed it since with Covid, none of my friends are able to come over.  Yes, that's a good suggestion to post one tool at a time.  When I am ready I will post one each day or one a week to get use to using it first before I learn another one.  

It looks like I maybe having a cold since I was outside weeding yesterday in the cold windy weather, and this morning woke up with a slight sore throat and a bit of running nose.   I am keeping warm today to rid the sore throat first before I go out to the garden again.  

Thanks again.

Pearl

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects