Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do I repair rusted ride on mower deck

oddjobs
Just Starting Out

How do I repair rusted ride on mower deck

How do I repair  a rusted out section of my ride on mower deck. I have seen advertised a product, Turbo Metal Bog, could you advise as to whether it would be okay to use, if so what other materials would be required. Image of rust damage attached.

Regards.....RayP8020033.JPG 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How do I repair rusted ride on mower deck

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @oddjobs. It's great to have you join us. I trust that you'll get plenty of helpful information, advice and inspiration from our wonderful members. 

Let me tag @Brad to see if he might like to kick off the discussion and share his thoughts on how we would tackle this repair. 

Thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How do I repair rusted ride on mower deck

That does look like a go to product for metal repairs and much cheaper than Knead-it Metal with a potential downside of needing to get the 2 part mix right against the Knead-it cut a piece off and knead it...

I would wire brush all the rust and other contaminants off so you have a clean surface to work with. What you use to fill with is a bit of a personal choice, I go mostly with a putty knife on difficult or small surfaces or a five in one/multi-function scraper but a filling scraper blade is another option. Never used that bog before so no idea on how easy it will be to work with (Knead-it is thick and hard to spread out) so you may have a bit of a lumpy finish. I would expect it would need some sanding to pass the wife test and for a minimal tools job I would shape a cork sanding block for the inside curve with the outside much easier to sand.

You should use safety glasses, gloves and a mask.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects