Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to cover sandbags with concrete for use as a flood deterrent?

KatQld
Getting Established

How to cover sandbags with concrete for use as a flood deterrent?

We have an issue with water from the neighbours coming on to our property. I have never used cement / concrete before but we want to make a low flood barrier as we can't really dig a drain right now.

We are considering building a besser block wall / fence but wondered if covering sandbags with concrete would work as an effective less permanent solution whilst we decide what to do?

I would place the coated bags on plastic and was thinking like a light/medium coating almost like dipping the bag in the concrete to cover all the surfaces and or covering the bag in a thinnish layer of concrete.

Was just wondering if that would work better than just sandbags to protect the hessian bag from disintegrating. Or would it just crack and not really work at all? Or is there some kind of special concrete I should use instead?

Not sure if it's better to coat each bag separately or arrange the sandbags in the wall formation first then coat them. Would really only need to be two rows high of bags tops and just one row high in some places.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to cover sandbags with concrete for use as a flood deterrent

Hello @KatQld 

This sounds like a serious flooding issue, before I make any recommendations would it be possible for you to post a few photos of the area in question? Between the sandbag and the Besser block the Besser block would last longer and if you need that barrier for a set period of time, I advise using the Besser block.

But before I get carried away, we really need to see what the situation is. We can then make recommendations that will work for you and your neighbour.

If you need a hand posting the photos, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
KatQld
Getting Established

Hi @EricL 

Please see attached photos. The water starts just before our carport and comes in pretty hard for the length of our carport, then runs both across the carport into under the house a little (which is just crusher dust) down the side and on our driveway.

The plants and fruit trees are my neighbours and she wants a green fence, but also needs a pool fence for her swimspa. We asked a landscaper / earth mover about building a french drain, however, he said it wasn't a good idea..Our power and nbn runs underground and underneath our driveway to the house and BYDA don't have plans of where they run as we are on Russell Island. Additionally, our property (and driveway) slopes upwards as it approaches the street and water always

pools out front of our driveway on the road (the landscaper said that he heard the council messed up our street as the storm drains on either side (and 3 doors up) are uphill from mine and my neighbours houses).

The soil is red and extremely hard when dry so it's not something we can realistically do by hand for such a long distance and the earthmover guy said he wasn't prepared to take the risk. He suggested building up our driveway to act as a wall, but that will be quite expensive and we already want to get concrete poured under our house.

1000005406.png

1000005403.png

1000005398.png

1000005404.jpg

1000005397.jpg

1000005396.jpg

1000004567.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @KatQld,

Have you contacted the council to ask if they can assist in any capacity? Quite often, they'll work with residents if water shed from adjacent properties is a substantial issue. I would use caution when considering creating a wall as if this prevents natural water shed from entering your property and diverts it to another property, you could be liable for any damage it causes. Many councils have codes that restrict the blockage of water shed. I understand this certainly appears unfair to residents on the lower block, but I just want you to be aware of that. 

I suggest that you have a drainage expert come in and evaluate the issue and plan how you can capture this water at the point of entering your property and divert it to the stormwater. They'll also be able to assess whether the council stormwater is sufficiently set up for the connection.

Firstly, contact your local council to make them aware of the issue. Next, speak to a drainage expert and get a quote on the works to rectify the situation. You can then go back to the council to see if there is anything they can do to assist.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

KatQld
Getting Established

Hi @MitchellMc 

I am waiting on the Council to respond. Although when I contacted the same council about the "road" in front of my mum's house (also on Russell) and the dirt that now gets washed down her driveway ever since they built storm drains and roads leading to her street, but stopped at her corner, they were not at all helpful. And said we needed to raise her driveway entrance from the road so as to stop it. However, if she did that it would be more likely to run into her front yard and house instead of down the side of her house following the driveway unless we installed our own kerb and storm water drainage in front, which I explained and am still yet to receive a response since 30 Nov. So am not super hopeful. Haha. 

Pics of my mum's street.

1000005416.jpg

1000005414.jpg

  

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Quite a frustrating situation @KatQld.

I see there is a downpipe on the carport, and you appear to be indicating that the majority of the water flows across the concrete section. What if you installed drainage channel as per my illustration below? It's great at capturing surface water and would mean a minimally invasive dig. That might work for the water that comes through your yard, but if it builds up from the neighbours next door to you, it might still flood under your house. I suspect a secondary drainage pit would need to be installed at the lowest point within the ditch between the two properties.

Here's a helpful guide: How to fix a muddy lawn.

Mitchell

Sorry @KatQld. It appears I didn't attach the image, which would have given context to my previous comment.

Let me know what you think.

Mitchell

drain2.png

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects