Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix rotting raised garden bed posts?

nikitacorry
Just Starting Out

How to fix rotting raised garden bed posts?

Hi Team

Our raised garden bed posts have started to rot and last night I came home to this.  

My question is what’s the best way to try and salvage what we have as a sort term fix until we can afford to complete a full renovation of our outdoor space. 

E65D5ED4-31F8-44D5-B0C7-6F93B3314E5C.png

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How to fix rotting raised garden bed posts?

Hi @nikitacorry,

Thank you for your question about a temporary repair for your retaining wall. Our resident DIY expert @EricL will be online this afternoon to assist but I will also tag our great Workshop members @Dave-1 and @TedBear to check with what they would suggest. If you are looking for a guide to building a new retaining wall, check out this article How to build a retaining wall by @Adam_W

We would love to know what you are thinking about doing for your outdoor renovation and we are always here to help with any questions along the way. 

Katie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Good morning @nikitacorry 

I have seen so many retaining walls deciding to have a rest day like yours. Strangely I have always sat there trying to figure out how I would do so.

First step is to actually dig out the width of a shovel blade (straight shovel) from behind the wall (Brick or timber) down to tthe same level as the ground.

Second step Is to imagine a large T (Long piece of timber and a shorter one at the end of it) lieing down with the crossbar away from you and the bottom of the T lining up with a post. 

Third step is to then dig this T shape out down by about 2 foot (say 60cm)

Retaining wall fix.jpg

Once the T trench is dug the I would try bringing the wall ost back to being verticle and attaching it to the base of the T. Then back fill the T and then backfill the wall (make sure you have rocks or something porous for the first part of the backfill of the retaining wall to allow water to seep out.)

I have seen people suggest this way and it is the most logical way I cant think of. Once a wall has gotten to that point of relaxing  there is no easy fix. 

That said maybe a star post on the outside rammed into the ground with the timber behind it may work for a few weeks. Just to keep it out of the way. Make sure you dont spear a drian or anything with it tho.... Not that I have... lol (yes I have)

Dave

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @nikitacorry 

It's great that you've received excellent advice and a fantastic diagram from @Dave-1. Just to add to the suggestions made, I recommend using Saxon 170cm Black T Steel Fence Post on either end of the round sleepers. 

I propose putting the fallen pieces back into position and driving the fence posts into the ground to hold the sleepers in place. The fence post is specifically designed to be hammered into the ground with no need for a concrete base. Please keep in mind that movement will eventually occur as this is a temporary repair.

Here is a handy step-by-step guide:  How to build a retaining wall by @Adam_W.

Before you begin your retaining wall renovation, please remember to check with your local council on the rules and regulations regarding building a retaining wall in your property.

If you need further assistance, please let us know,

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects