Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to install a fence on a retaining wall?

bengroll
Growing in Experience

How to install a fence on a retaining wall?

I've recently had some retaining walls installed and now am hoping to install some "temporary" fencing along the top of the LOWER level (see below) primarily to deter the family from getting to close. Options I've seen include basic picket fencing (metal or wooden https://www.bunnings.com.au/rapidfence-2200-x-41-x-1200mm-black-blade-picket-fence-panel_p0438319), wire fencing and posts, or even glass pool-side-type fencing. I can't dig behind the wall: we have SUPER hard rock and digging and concreting posts is not an option, plus there isn't much space anymore). Plus I plan on removing the fence in a few years once family has grown up enough to stay away from the edges.

PXL_20220916_224927651.jpg

Can I simply bolt posts into the top of the wall? Would it be better to bolt to the front? There's only 50-100mm space on the rear of the wall to bolt to the back.

I'd love some ideas, or tips, or further advice.

bengroll
Growing in Experience

Re: How to install a fence on a retaining wall?

Thanks @Jason all good no rush at all!

But always happy for help from other's lol

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @bengroll,

You can create @EricL's design using 90 x 45mm Treated Pine and attach the frame pieces together with Zenith 8 - 10 x 100mm Treated Pine Countersunk Head Screws. When attaching the frame to the top of the sleepers, I recommend using larger fixings like these landscape screws.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
bengroll
Growing in Experience

Thanks @MitchellMc . 

@EricL's design is still my preferred option and your supply and equipment details are great. My (hopefully) final question is what to fill the spacing between the posts with. Eric again mentioned panelling but that's probably pushing the budget out. If I were to just put in more upright posts/railings what would the recommended spacings be? 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

You could add as many upright posts as you'd like, @bengroll. Regarding spacing, are you looking to comply with balustrade requirements or prevent a child from falling? If so, the gap between the railings should not be more than 100mm.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects