Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to make a frog pond in your garden

mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

How to make a frog pond in your garden

Watch this space friends as we convert this old bathtub into a beautiful Frog Pond 🐸🐸🐸 We have three small frog ponds in our garden and now it’s time to upgrade to a larger one 🐸💚🌿 I’ll show you step by step how it’s put together 😄

#FrogPond
#Frogs
#Recycle

#ReUse
#PondPlants

frog pond.jpeg

2B901D0F-8C26-49F6-9D11-0AD9854AFE57.jpeg

Follow up on our Bathtub Frog Pond

D22C174D-5A64-403C-8E66-2BFFBA4BD945.jpeg

C851CF10-BF70-42BD-8BBD-5546C69D964A.jpeg

9B047C37-2CDE-4B3C-B478-3D30512639B2.jpeg

02203553-8DBB-4937-8187-C561EE8E238B.jpeg

1E7EC906-A871-487B-B211-40C2C5CAD961.jpeg

Morning Workshop Community Friends, here is a follow up on our Bathtub Frog Pond 

Found a second frog that’s moved into the Bathtub Frog Pond 💚 🐸 💚 The White and Gold Cloud Minnows are happy in there. NO mozzie larvae at all. No pump and that’s ok as there are plenty of plants in there. All good 😊 🐸🐸

Re: Follow up on our Bathtub Frog Pond

I’m wondering what state you’re in…I adore frogs I love your post and pictures…I’m from Darwin and grew up with green tree frogs living in the toilet bowl and hanging recklessly from the shower head…and…their not so wonderful poo parcels…anyway now living in suburban Perth…not a froggie friend in sight 🐸…how besides putting in a frog pond do I overcome this problem, where can I get a frog or two and how does one care for them esp over winter?

Best 

Louise

@Woodflower71   Hi Louise, oh you would of had beautiful frogs in Darwin !! 

we started quite a few year’s ago with a few frog ponds in our backyard. Using old laundry sinks and also kids sandpit shells.

A friend had given us some tadpoles to start with. The shallow ponds are surrounded by plants to protect them and we do not use any chemicals in our garden. 

We put a small pond in, and frogs found it pretty fast in our case and pretty much take care of themselves  Louise :smile:  Its great to see your frogs are happy mich and the tubs working great :smile:  We get green tree frogs and marsh frogs here (see frogs eggs occasionally they lay on the plants) Crikey they can get loud on a quiet night hahahahha but I love the soundssadasdasdasdasdasda.JPG

mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

@Prawns  absolutely gorgeous !!!! I love it 🐸💚

mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How to make a frog pond in your garden

Added a few Native Pygmy Perch to our Bathtub Frog Pond. They are with the Gold Cloud and White Cloud Minnows, eating any mozzies and larvae. Not harming the frogs or tadpoles. 

F86C79AE-6531-4B0E-BFD1-8E477CD70229.jpeg

0A724B5E-66FC-419A-9A23-0A3AC3A7EF5C.jpeg

A664018D-A995-47BF-9D56-0B6F7AA53F78.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @mich1972

Thank you so much for the update on your frog pond.  That added fish should be perfect for keeping the mozzie larvae in check. Have you thought about investing in an Aquapro AP300SP Solar Pump Kit? This would help in oxygenating the water for your fish.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

I have just left it natural @EricL , there are so many plants in there that help to keep the water clean . The fish seem happy I think 🤔 

mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi Workshop Community Friends, here’s an update on our Bathtub Frog Pond 🐸

I spotted three baby frogs in there this afternoon. I’m sorry I’m not sure what species they are. But they are beautiful ! Really happy with the Ecosystem created in this area of our Garden. The Native Pygmy Perch, Gold Cloud Minnows and White Cloud Minnows are doing well in there as well. The tiny fish eat any mozzie larvae in the bathtub but don’t attack the tadpoles. Frogs seem really happy and protected there.  

30AADFFC-A93E-4A39-BCA9-5C5B308B08CD.jpeg

0781EE36-3FE2-41F9-8FB5-FB17CF92A510.jpeg

87889520-185F-4C4E-A3F7-73C7CA0D38C1.jpeg

Hi @mich1972 

Nice  project as a frog pond , having built one myself I hope you dont think I am  intruding when I say fish will eat moquito larve and frogs spawn. This is the reaility of nature at work and it keeps species numbers in check  But it looks like some smaller species  of fish are finding a balance with  you lovely  looking frogs.  Mental   update goldfish size fish and frogs  might not coexist well.

Great  @mich1972  you have some climbing  structures in you bath for frogs  should be able to climb out of the water great stuff, But for others doing a  bath project please provide a  sloped ramp into the water or some thing flat low and floating they can climb onto as  frogs  can not  easy get out of a slippery steep bath as was my first rookie mistake heaps of years ago when i had a pet dinosaur  called 'asteriod'  (furphy) 

The  bigger the fish species gold fish eg and the more fish you have  the more filter resources and oxygen you need as the natural eco system defined by pond size is pushed beyond its  local limits.

But not required generally speaking for small fish in a bath tube have a huge natural ecosystem vs there size and plenty of oxygen at the surface exchanging  . (deeper into the  bath bottom will be more anaerobic ) but frogs fish swimming hot cold currents and wind on the water  etc will help mix water.  Plants add oxygen and shade to the water at day but can consume some oxygen at night but they are the consumers of nitrates which should diminish the potentials for algae bloom (green water). Natural good bacteria on bath sides  and structures converts small quantites of ammonia and in turn nitrite, and in turn Nitrates for  plants.  An Eco balance  can be achieved. 

There are many other factors in a  pond at play but dont tell your happy balance ecosystem and it will never need to know

Enjoy your pond projects

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects