Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to make your own terrarium

mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

How to make your own terrarium

Morning friends. If you want to make a beautiful handmade Living Gift for someone special OR if you have a party at home coming up and you want to make a table feature. Plant up a Glass Terrarium of your choice. Make it EASY CARE using plants like Succulents and Air Plants.

Number one rule when planting up a Terrarium .......... ALWAYS use Horticultural Charcoal as your first layer and then Propagation Sand as your second layer and then African Violet mix as your planting media. The horticultural Charcoal is really important as it acts as a filter and stops the soil going stagnant if accidentally overwatered.

With Terrariums you never pour water into it , you use a spray bottle with water and water only as required.

It certainly doesn’t need to be filled with plants , make it more interesting by adding a candle , timber , bamboo stakes , pebbles , whatever you want !!!!

Remember every Terrarium is unique and different and most importantly it’s your Living Artwork so make it yours 🌿🌿💚💚

C1BD689E-3E68-4FBA-949E-5B2658A9E864.jpeg

59868968-2F3D-4009-A653-BCFDDDF235E0.jpeg

2CCF6357-F3ED-4024-A361-F0D7E8F7DE42.jpeg

F9374173-F921-47D1-9BC5-6E059EFF1B29.jpeg

34B65E98-B163-4DCB-AF3A-383A03F5DC89.jpeg

diy_hausdesigns
Amassing an Audience

Re: How to make your own terrarium

Great work @mich1972 

I've always liked these. Much rather DIY one after seeing how you've pulled it off !

Cheers

----
Yours Kindly. For more, please follow @diy_hausdesigns

Thank You @diy_hausdesigns 😊 

Making a Terrarium is heaps of fun and you can make them big or small and you can go crazy with your imagination !!! Not only that , they make a beautiful handmade gift for someone special 🌿💚

Thank You 🌿😊

Hi @wolfies69  , @MitchellMc @has given some fantastic advice for starting a terrarium. 

Remember you don’t have to go overboard with just plants , adding extra features such as driftwood, bamboo, pebbles, rocks, gravel, river sand, Sphagnum moss, small ornaments, truly anything your imagination comes up with !! Be creative and you are NEVER too old to start !!!!! 

I love terrariums made with just Tillandsias ( Air Plants ) so easy to look after. 

Ferns , small indoor plants, moss will definitely make it look tropical. 

I look forward to seeing your beautiful creation 😊😊

ok and thanks mich1972. I appreciate both your thoughts and will do research on You Tube etc re creating the Terrarium. Will need some advice along the way so expect to hear from me later.

Your assistance greatly appreciated.

Peter

macsmum07
Growing in Experience

Hi All

I'm in a similar situation to @wolfies69  except mine is an old reptile tank.  I was going to take it to the recycle centre, but then I saw some some terrariums at my local Bunnings ( bought one  LOL)

My issue is I dont have the lid for it anymore.  I was wondering can I make it an open air terrarium or is it too big  or should I get a lid made for it?  

PXL_20201207_063702479.jpg

Don’t stress about not having a lid. It will be fine. Can’t wait to see what you do with it as it is a great size 😊

@macsmum07,

That's a good-sized reptile tank that you are building your terrarium from. What type of plants are you going to keep in there?

I can't wait to see what you do with it. Please keep us updated.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
macsmum07
Growing in Experience

Thanks @mich1972  and @MitchellMc 

Given it doesn't have a lid am I limited to only using succulents or can I add other plants as well if I give it a good spritz of water as needed?

I like some of the "Bottle Babies" terrarium plants at my local Bunnings. 

Thanks!
MM 

Certainly doesn’t have to be succulents, and baby tube starters are fine , that are suitable for indoor plants 😊

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects