Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to repair a Ryobi electric shredder?

artdeco
Getting Established

How to repair a Ryobi electric shredder?

I purchased this Ryobi electric shredder 2nd hand, and it's not working as it should. The model number is RSH2445T. Apparently they are very good shredders, but mine is not cutting right through the material that goes into it.

I'm looking for help on how to proceed with getting it repaired. 

A photo of the inside of the shredder is below. The piece of thick aluminium levered up to where the blades spin is the adjustment plate. The plate should be adjusted to just touch the blades, at which point a small amount of aluminium should be shaved off and the shredder should operate beautifully from that point on. The green knob partially shown on the left side of the photo is used to push the adjustment plate in further. Once adjusted, the knob gets locked into place with a locking knob. The issue in this case is that the adjustment plate cannot be pushed any further in, as the knob is at the end of its position. If the adjustment plate was wearing thin, I'd expect it to need replacing, but it's barely been worn down, so I doubt that's the problem. Instead, I'm wondering if something has perhaps broken off the end of the bolt that pushes against the adjustment plate. The end of the bolt has a hole in it with some wire through it, and that looks like it might have been messed with or damaged.

If anyone has a similar shredder, perhaps it could help to look at how the adjustment bolt works, whether there is a part missing, etc. Ultimately, if the bolt was perhaps 10mm longer, I wouldn't have a problem, so there may be other ways to achieve something like that. Thanks in advance for any help!

20220130_154758.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Fixing a Ryobi electric shredder

Hello @artdeco

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about your Ryobi shredder.

What an excellent find, I'm very fond of finding second-hand items myself and restoring them to operating order to the utter frustration of my wife of course. It looks like the external retaining ring holding the M10 nut has broken off. If the adjustable knob assembly still goes forwards and backwards on the thread of the body, there's no reason this can't be fixed.  

I've placed a diagram below with the part number list. Have a good look at your assembly and see which part is either broken or worn out. Once you've confirmed the part that you need to replace, go to your local store's special orders desk and show them the picture and part number and they'll be able to order it for you. 

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your Ryobi shredder working perfectly.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
artdeco
Getting Established

Hi Eric,

A very late thanks for your reply! Now that I've recovered from COVID I'd to get my mulcher fixed before I catch it again!

I tried ordering replacements for parts 57.2 and 58 as per your photo in store, however it turns out they're out of stock of one of those, and it sounds like new stock isn't manufactured. It seems my only option is to try to improvise a part. It may be easy enough to do, as I only need something that will extend the effective length of the adjustment bolt to give the adjustment plate a little extra push. 

I'll post back if I get it solved.

Regards,
Terry

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @artdeco

I'm glad to hear that you're feeling much better. I believe that you'll need to go hunting for the part you need. I also recommend bringing the broken part to the store and speaking to the hardware team member. You then test which of the nuts will fit the end of your bolt. However, on the chance that it does not fit, I encouraged you to keep looking to find an equivalent replacement.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your electric shredder fixed and ready to go.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.  

Eric

artdeco
Getting Established

Hi @EricL 

I've come back to relook at this issue.

When I relooked at the shredder, I found additional damage to the adjustment plate, so I've submitted a parts enquiry to see if I get a new plate. 

I may still need the M10 nut and retaining ring though, which were out of stock for this model. I'm wondering whether the same nut and ring may be available for a newer model though, such as for the RSH2445S which appears to be an updated version that is currently for sale. Are you able to please check if that model has an M10 nut and retaining ring, and perhaps provide a photo of the part numbers?

Thanks very much,
Terry

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hello Terry (@artdeco),

Jumping into this discussion to inform you that @EricL is currently on his year-end break. Let me tag our other resident D.I.Y. expert @MitchellMc. He should be able to assist you in finding details of the abovementioned shredder model when he's back on the site tomorrow. 

Thank you for your patience in the meantime.

Akanksha 

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @artdeco 

To my eyes - everything is in place - and I think I can still see 57.2 'locked' in the die-cast moulding.

NUT.PNG

It just doesn't seem to have enough reach. Maybe that's why they were selling it?

"The end of the bolt has a hole in it with some wire through it, and that looks like it might have been messed with or damaged."

My thought is that pin prevents a complete withdrawal of 56.2 which could result in 57.2 getting lost internally.

I'd be trying a longer M10 bolt - just to see if the extra length will solve the problem. If it does then I'd be improving the bolt design.

But that's just me.

Closing the Gap...Closing the Gap...

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @artdeco,

The RSH2445S appears to have a different system for adjusting the blade gap. If they were compatible parts, they'd have the same part number. Did Ryobi give you a time frame for when the part would be back in stock?

Mitchell

Ry2.png

MikeTNZ
Amassing an Audience

Re: How to repair a Ryobi electric shredder?

Hi @artdeco,

One thing that stands out for me in your picture is the wear on the end of that shaft adjacent to the cutting blades.

I find it hard to believe there is no bearing on this end and it looks like this shaft has become "slopped out" under load and could

conceivably affect the motor driving this unit.

One thing I would check before doing anything else with this tool, is to check for any movement from side to side and up and down

in this shaft, if there is appreciable movement, it means that the motor bearings (usually the rear one) have been damaged by sideways force on

them (which should never happen with bearings).

Also the shaft should turn freely, if it seems like there are points on the rotation of the shaft where it doesn't feel free, expect bearing or possible armature damage.

I'm more than willing to help you out with fault-finding this, I've worked with electric motors and things on the ends of them for nearly 30 years,

if you need further advice, please, by all means let me know.

Cheers,

Mike T.

Hi Terry; all,

I've recently acquired a 2445T myself, bought second hand with the knowledge that the adjustment plate (part #52; 099710001053 according to the diagram & table in Eric's first reply to you) was damaged and required replacement.

Previous owner's well intentioned family member over-tightened the plate, which seems to have caused so much stress on it, that it has actually cracked from both ends parallel with shaft (part #52.1) that runs through the top of the plate. 

You mentioned above that you had noticed you might also have needed a new part #52 - did you have any luck obtaining one?

Do any Bunnings staff seeing this know if there is an equivalent/compatible part form 099710001053 from one of the newer models?

Many thanks,

Jenna 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects