Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to repair a Ryobi electric shredder?

artdeco
Getting Established

How to repair a Ryobi electric shredder?

I purchased this Ryobi electric shredder 2nd hand, and it's not working as it should. The model number is RSH2445T. Apparently they are very good shredders, but mine is not cutting right through the material that goes into it.

I'm looking for help on how to proceed with getting it repaired. 

A photo of the inside of the shredder is below. The piece of thick aluminium levered up to where the blades spin is the adjustment plate. The plate should be adjusted to just touch the blades, at which point a small amount of aluminium should be shaved off and the shredder should operate beautifully from that point on. The green knob partially shown on the left side of the photo is used to push the adjustment plate in further. Once adjusted, the knob gets locked into place with a locking knob. The issue in this case is that the adjustment plate cannot be pushed any further in, as the knob is at the end of its position. If the adjustment plate was wearing thin, I'd expect it to need replacing, but it's barely been worn down, so I doubt that's the problem. Instead, I'm wondering if something has perhaps broken off the end of the bolt that pushes against the adjustment plate. The end of the bolt has a hole in it with some wire through it, and that looks like it might have been messed with or damaged.

If anyone has a similar shredder, perhaps it could help to look at how the adjustment bolt works, whether there is a part missing, etc. Ultimately, if the bolt was perhaps 10mm longer, I wouldn't have a problem, so there may be other ways to achieve something like that. Thanks in advance for any help!

20220130_154758.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Fixing a Ryobi electric shredder

Hello @Awkwajena

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thanks for joining the discussion.

Please allow me to investigate if they have the spares available. I'll give Ryobi a call to find out if they have a spare plate in stock for the 2445T. As soon as I have more information, I'll let you know. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @artdeco

Let me ask Ryobi if they have a possible timetable for the spare parts that you need. The only other thought that comes to mind is to bring the nut to a machine shop and have it recreated in high-tensile steel. This should prevent the threads from getting worn out or damaged. As soon as I have more information I'll get back to you.

Eric

artdeco
Getting Established

@Awkwajena when I made my most recent reply on this thread I had just found some substantial damage to the adjustment plate which is likely similar to what you describe. Unfortunately Bunnings told me a day or two ago that Ryobi has discontinued the part and sadly there's no stock available. I had planned to take some more photos and discuss the issue further, but I'll just do a brief reply for now.

I did find a seller from Germany listing a compatible part on ebay (https://www.ebay.com/itm/284325609631 ) however they only have a shipping option for Germany. I've messaged the seller asking for a price for shipping to New Zealand, but I'm unsure whether I'll hear back. I'll tag you in a reply if I can get one sent, as I may be able to order two and pass one on.

Other people seem to have had the same issue: https://www.productreview.com.au/reviews/5a380212-445c-4103-88f5-51a65856c22c

That person apparently managed to cast their own aluminium replacement, which is quite an achievement.

On the whole, the situation is very disappointing, especially since it looks like these were still sold new as recently as 2020. I don't think I'll be buying another Ryobi machine if they're going to stop selling parts after 2-3yrs. That's very poor service..

I'll try to post some more info when I get some time. Thanks everyone for your help; it's very much appreciated, and always better for the planet if we can fix something rather than sending it to landfill.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to repair a Ryobi electric shredder?

Hi @artdeco and @Awkwajena,

The last time the RSH2445T was sold was in 2018. Any units purchased later than that would still be under their four-year replacement warranty. If, for some reason, the adjustment plate was to wear out under normal use, we'd replace the entire product. Typically you'd only need to adjust the blades perhaps once or twice a year at most, and under normal usage conditions, the adjustment plate is designed to last for many years.

If you could obtain the proof or purchase for the machine and it's under four years old, we'd happily replace it for you.

Mitchell

Hey @MitchellMc 

"Any units purchased later than that would still be under their four-year replacement warranty."

Oh my God! Is that for all outdoor Ryobi products?!

20230113_153314.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Noyade 

Is that a petrol blower? If it is I'm afraid it only has a 2-year warranty.

Eric

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Awkwajena

I suggest proceeding to your closest store and going to the special orders desk and placing an order for the Ryobi spare part number (#52; 099710001053). At the time that I was in contact with Ryobi, they confirmed that they still have the adjustment plate in stock. However, they also mentioned that it was in very short supply. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

@EricL Amazing - thankyou! 😌👏 I shall make a beeline for my local Bunnings special order desk in the morning with fingers crossed to ask about part #52; 099710001053.

@artdeco If I happen to get lucky and they say they actually do have a couple in stock somewhere, I'll ask about shipping to NZ for you too.
Yes! I did see the product review .com.au review from David-48 and wholeheartedly agree, impressive! If I didn't/don't get a result in the forum here, my plan was to reach out to David-48 to see how his part is faring, and to ask if he's interested in going back into production of the part, and how much he would want to charge for his time, effort, materials, pain & suffering to make one or two (or five, just in case....) for me. 🤔😁 I'll keep you in the loop on that here too.

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi Eric @EricL 

"Is that a petrol blower?"

Yes.

Thanks for the warranty periods.

Around 4 years old(?) Binned yesterday.

The last Ryobi product I will ever purchase.

Hello everyone, 

Further update - tentative good news first:

@artdeco Just in the last hour (23/01/2023) while Googling in despair/stubborn refusal to take "no" for an answer, I found this listing: (https://www.thetoolstoreparts.com.au/ryobi-099710001053-adjust-plate) for the 2445T adjustment plate part and have placed an order. Further good news - the listing is still up with stock still apparently available with this supplier. Fingers crossed the website is legit, it's the correct part, and it actually arrives (!) I'll provide a further update on this if/when it arrives in case anyone is still following along.

@EricL @artdeco The bad news (but hopefully moot now):
I went in store and made an enquiry via my local Bunnings Special Orders desk a couple of days after my last post above. I mentioned that I'd received advice from Bunnings staff member here on the workshop forum that there were parts available she checked her system & advised there was no stock, but sent off an enquiry to Ryobi for me. An initial reply from Ryobi came a couple of days later: they don't have the part in stock and the supplier no longer makes it but they are looking in to whether a part from another model will fit. Further/final reply a couple of days after that, simply, there is no stock and it is no longer made. 😞

Fingers crossed this part i've ordered is the fix! 🤞

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects