Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to replace artificial turf with real grass?

calccom21
Building a Reputation

How to replace artificial turf with real grass?

IMG20230730134533.jpg

 Hi All,

Need some advise... When I move into here.. we had artificial grass and over the years, it turn bad to worst and all the thread and nails came out and the weed sprouting out . I was thinking to put real grass in it . Any advise? Fyi I had been pulling the weed out, vinegar and also weed killer..nothing last ..also if I were to put real grass, what I need to do...do I need to remove the stone, etc underneath the artificial grass?

Tyro
Becoming a Leader

Re: Patching real grass

Hi @calccom21 

The internet has lots of photos.  Then you can  pick out some ideas that you like.  A little bit from one garden, a little from another and so on .. 

You might like to type the following word search phrase into your Internet page.  When the results come up, click on 'Images' (just underneath where you paste the text)....

starting a native garden with woodchips in australia

Cheers 🤗

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Tyro,

I'd suggest @EricL used a photo manipulation program such as Photoshop to put that image together.

For a great garden planner that @calccom21 might like to check out, too, have a look at the Gardena Garden Planner. It's been created to plan out garden irrigation but works a treat as a general landscaping tool; really helps to visualise a space.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

A huge thanks to you @MitchellMc 

I do need something like that to visualise my design for my crowded courtyard!  

👏🙏🏻🤸‍♀️😁

Cheers 🤗

calccom21
Building a Reputation

Hi any idea if I can just remove the artificial grass and put the real grass on top without remove those stones?

Tyro
Becoming a Leader

Hi @calccom21 

As @MitchellMc 

suggested, you would need to put down alot of topsoil before you lay grass down.  Instead of the grass idea, have you seen gravel gardens?  That might save you lots of work.  Type Gravel Gardens into google.  A website called Pinterest has some very cool gardens that have small stones instead of grass.  

Cheers 🤗

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @calccom21 

I propose setting aside some time and slowly start removing all the unnecessary parts of the old garden. Use a sledgehammer to remove the concrete circles. Gather the wood and tarp and begin tilling the soil. Remove any large stones or rocks in the soil. Straighten or remove the garden edging and level the entire garden. Add new topsoil and prepare it for the laying of the new turf.

Putting turf on an unprepared surface will result in the turf dying or growing in an uneven manner. This will make the surface difficult to mow and and maintain.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects