Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to revitalise Lavenders in pots?

Catnipmanor1234
Cultivating a Following

How to revitalise Lavenders in pots?

What is the best way to trim, fertilise and water lavenders in pots? The pots are quite large, and probably the lavenders are pot-bound - doubt if there is a way I could get them out. Without breaking the pots. The plants are around about 4 years + old. The first year there were a lot of flowers and had heaps of bees buzzing around. Very few flowers the last few years. So I really want to rejuvenate them, and get all 'my' bees back, buzzing around. I know that if you prune them incorrectly, they will die. So help is required. Many thanks, Gabrielle.🌱 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Lavenders-in pots

Hi Gabrielle (@Catnipmanor1234),

Lavenders need to be pruned annually to promote new growth and prevent them from becoming leggy. The best time to give them a trim is in early spring; you can give them another one after flowering. Only trim the new growth about 1/3 of its length and stop cutting above a healthy set of leaves. It's better to do a light trim each year instead of a heavy prune every few. 

If the lavenders are pot-bound, then you are going to be fighting a battle to keep them vigorous. It's not nice to have shoes on that are too tight; you certainly wouldn't be going for a run in them. Reducing the foliage with help, but once they are pot-bound, they'll start having issues with nutrient uptake and root issues if the drainage holes become blocked. It's recommended to re-pot lavenders every 2-3 years.

Have you fertilised at all? Lavenders don't require heavy fertilisation, but the occasional one can benefit them. I'd suggest a general-purpose fertiliser like Scotts Osmocote 500g Pots, Planters & Indoors Controlled Release Fertiliser.

I'm sure with a bit of attention your lavenders will be flowering in no time.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Mitchell.  Many thanks for your advice. I'll give it a go.  I thought that if I 'gently' poked the soil with something - like - say a knitting needle, would that help with aeration? The pots are up on bricks, and the drainage holes are not compromised.  I gave them some liquid fertilizer a little while ago. Would a 'solid' type of fertilizer be better - ie would the effect last longer. And, I'm not sure about watering. Keep moist, or let dry out, and then water? Many thanks again. Gabrielle.🦄

Hi @Catnipmanor1234,

Aerating the soil will allow oxygen and water to get where it's needed. However, it can be a losing battle if the roots are pot-bound. Same thing with the drainage; once the roots fill the pot entirely, they'll block off the drainage holes from inside and not allow the water to drain away promptly. You should be watering when the soil begins to dry out. Stick your figure in the soil, and if it's dry, then water; if it's still damp, don't. 

The slow-release fertiliser I mentioned above will fertilise for 6-months with one application. Liquid fertilisers are typically applied more readily. It's best to check the product's application instructions for more details.

Mitchell

Hi Mitchell: Sorry for the delayed reply. Many thanks for your information. Hope I can get them healthy again, as initially, there were lots of flowers and the bees had a wonderful time. Thank you, again. Gabrielle.🦄

Hello @Catnipmanor1234 

It's great to see that you found @MitchellMc's recommendations helpful. Please keep us updated with your progress and if you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to post them.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects