Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to start a vegie garden ?

jazek
Just Starting Out

How to start a vegie garden ?

Hiya all  :smile: I’m new to this group and a newbie to gardening.

I am wanting to create a veggie garden in the smallish backyard I have. 
I am thinking of veggie planter boxes ? 
if that’s what they are even called lol.

what veggies can be planted in them ? & when would I start planting the vegetables seeds ? 

Im wanting some general knowledge before I go into a Bunnings store so I can not embarrass myself completely lol as I have zero knowledge of these things, but eager to learn & make this a project my son and I can do together. 

Thank you for any advice , tips or ideas you are able to give me. 

:smile: 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to start a veggie garden ?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @jazek. It's amazing that you've joined us, and many thanks for your question about starting a veggie garden.

Raised garden beds would be a fantastic way of establishing a veggie garden. They provide enough depth to grow almost anything and come in many sizes and styles. You might like to consider building your own following this step-by-step guide: How to build a simple raised garden bed by @Adam_W. Whether you purchase a kit or construct your own @Noelle's How to fill a raised garden bed guide will be helpful.

When you're in-store, you can check the back of the seed packages to find out when the best time for planting is. Depending on where you are located, the timing might vary. You can see here that these carrots are suitable for planting in most areas of Australia, though it's recommending to wait until Spring in the zones marked purple and brown.

seedpack.jpg

Vegetable garden starter kits can be quite useful. They allow you to germinate and establish your seedlings inside a little hothouse before moving them out into the garden beds. Some vegetables which could be suitable for your location this time of year are Asian Greens, Beetroot, Broccoli, Cabbage, Chinese Cabbage, Cress, Carrot, Cauliflowers, Endive, Kohl Rabi, Leek, Lettuce, Onions, Parsley, Parsnip, Peas, Radish, Silver Beet, Snow Pea, Spinach, Swedes and Turnips. You'll find all these in Mr Fothergill's seed range in-store.

Our team will be more than happy to assist you in-store, and you certainly won't embarrass yourself. We're here to help.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects