Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to stop worms from crawling on the porch?

tisme
Growing in Experience

How to stop worms from crawling on the porch?

how do u stop worms from crawling all over the porch ( with all this rain )

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: how do u stop worms from crawling all over the porch ( with all this rain )

Hi @tisme 

Try sprinkle a  little a little salt along the porch edge .  No promise  but salt seams to react with slugs and snails so  worms might also be discouraged.  I thick it basically dries there skin ? ummm intersting

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How to stop worms from crawling on the porch?

Hello @tisme,

Great to see you've received advice from @Jewelleryrescue on preventing worms from crawling on your porch.

Let me also tag our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. expert @MitchellMc along with our ever-helpful members @mich1972 and @darylhewston to see if they have any thoughts.

Akanksha

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @tisme,

Is this a common occurrence? If not, I'd recommend just hosing them off or gently placing them back in the garden. They are likely crawling onto the porch as the soil has become saturated, and they are trying to survive. I'd taken pity on them and return them to the garden, where they are quite beneficial.

For a more permanent solution, attaching an aluminium angle on the face edge of the porch would likely prevent them from being able to traverse over it and up onto the porch.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

@tisme I agree with @MitchellMc , they are beneficial for your garden. They are just trying to stay out of the soggy soil from heavy rainfall. 😊

Hi @tisme 

If the worms are trying to escape wet soaking ground or possibly polutants in the soil.  Maybe the longer term solution is to provide a  well drained  garden bed  with clean soil so they dont have to leave home  in the first place,

I am not saying your garden is bad just there is a reason  the worms are on the move.

There is quite a lot of information around worm movements involving disscussions as to worm farms to poosible  give you an insight in to your worms migrating.

Just one reference for starters.

https://unclejimswormfarm.com/why-composting-worms-escape/

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects