Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Is Scotts Lawn Slow Release Lawn Builder safe for chickens?

ndhayne
Just Starting Out

Is Scotts Lawn Slow Release Lawn Builder safe for chickens?

Hello 
Is Scotts Slow Release Lawn Builder safe with chickens?
Thanks,
Nick

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Scotts Lawn Slow Release Lawn Builder and Chickens

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @ndhayne. It's a pleasure to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about Scotts Lawn Builder.

I certainly wouldn't recommend you use any granulated chemical fertiliser around chickens. I think that it would be quite hard for them to discern between it and regular chicken feed. Instead, I'd recommend you go for a soluble chemical fertiliser like Scotts Lawn Builder 1L Extreme Green Liquid Lawn Fertilser, or better still, use the free and readily available organic fertiliser you have on hand, the chicken manure. People pay good money for Neutrog 20kg Rooster Booster Organic Fertiliser. Just make sure to put it aside after a cleanup and let it age for at least 60 days before applying it to your lawn. Once you get a couple of piles going, your year-round fertiliser needs will be met. Chicken mature is great for the lawn and for use in vegetable gardens too!

Let me mention one of our chicken aficionados @mich1972 to see what fertiliser she uses on her lawn.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Is Scotts Lawn Slow Release Lawn Builder safe for chickens?

Good morning @ndhayne that is definitely a no ! Please don’t let your girls free range if there is chemical fertiliser around. Stick to a liquid fertiliser that has been watered in well. @MitchellMc has given great advice to you 🐓🐓🐓😃

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects