Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Is weed killer safe for pets?

TriciaW
Just Starting Out

Is weed killer safe for pets?

wondering if anyone can help me...I've noticed some weed killers like the Yates Zero Rapid say safe for pets and children 30 minutes after its dried...Is it still safe for pets if they are always eating the weeds

TriciaW_0-1635578465725.png

• Rainproof after 30 minutes - no need to respray if it rains after 30 minutes
  • Non-selective – Will kill all plants sprayed
  • Visible results within 1 hour
  • Non-residual – isn’t active in the soil. Safe to replant in the area after 7 days
  • Safe for pets and children to re-enter area once the product has dried

Thanks TriciaW

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Is weed killer safe for pets?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @TriciaW. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about weed killer.

It comes down to your definition of safe and how much of the sprayed weed your pet will consume. Once the product has dried, it won't transfer onto a child's skin or a pet's fur and allow ingestion that way. Instead of the Glyphosate-based Zero, I'd recommend a product like Seasol EarthCare 3L Organic Weedkiller. It has the same stipulation of keeping children and pets out of the area until it is dry. However, it works by dehydrating the leaves and weeds instead of poisoning them with Glyphosate, as the Zero does. The worst-case scenario with the Seasol product is that your pet might have a bit of an upset stomach if they eat heaps of grass with it on it.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Is weed killer safe for pets?

Hi all,

As we noticed this was a topic with high page views, we asked horticulturist and prolific Workshop contributor @Adam_W to put together the helpful guide How to remove weeds without harming your pets.

We trust you'll find the information helpful. Please don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions. We're here to help.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects