Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Making arches for a veggie garden

gnicholson
Growing in Experience

Making arches for a veggie garden

I am making arches for my veggie garden for beans and berries to climb on and when I rotate beds to hold the nets over tomatoes and other veggies so the parrots/possums don't pinch and eat them. The mesh is sheep yard mesh which comes in 6m lengths. I only need 5m lengths and I need it cut in half as is 1100mm wide. When it is cut there will be sharp ends and I want to somehow cover those ends so they do not tear my nets.

Something plastic or rubber or a type of tape are my first thoughts. I did a bit of a search and cam up with nothing.

I would love suggestions from anyone.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Making arches for a veggie garden

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @gnicholson. It's fabulous to have you join us and many thanks for your question.

My first thought would be, as you have already mentioned, using a rubber hose. Something similar to Kinetic 8mm x 5m Reinforced Pressure Hose might be suitable. If you take a utility knife and carefully slice down one side of it, it would then fit over the exposed edge of the sheep mesh. You could then use electrical tape wrapped continuously around it to keep it in position. Alternatively, cable ties at regular intervals might also work.

What type of nets are you using that would get torn by sharp wire? Typical crop netting is rather durable and I wouldn't expect the wire to affect it much if at all.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

I have some of that black poly hose from a watering system no longer used so maybe I could use that, thanks for the suggestion.

The nets get caught when you are putting them on and off and that is when they rip. Also happens with the fruit trees as the branches grow through the nets and then when you take them off if you cut the branches they tear the nets.

Would duct tape be better than electrical tape?

Not sure how you could use cable ties fro sharp ends?

@gnicholson,

Duct tape might last longer than electrical tape but it comes in a wider role. The wider the role the harder it is to neatly wrap it around the piping in a continuous length.

I was suggesting the cables ties to hold the tubing in place instead of the tape.

Mitchell

Would you have to cut holes in the tubing to thread the cable ties to?

I am trying to envisage what you are.

@gnicholson,

You would cut the wire so it finishes flush at a welding/join row. The tube would then be slipped over and the cable ties wrapped around the tube and the last row of wire. It's not particularly easy to explain but I've drawn some rough pictures of what I mean.

Mitchell

That's fantastic thanks. I was thinking of the tube being on the leftover cut ends but you have it running the other way so now that makes sense. and sounds like a lot less work.I am having it cut at the fencing shop so hopefully they can get close to the join.

I think I am going to like this workshop.

Hi @gnicholson,

Hope you are staying safe and well. 

Just wondering whether you proceeded with this project? It would be great to get an update and see what you achieved as it's been a popular discussion.

Thanks,

Jason

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects