Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Numerous ant nests in lawn at Maryborough Queensland

harrydraman
Just Starting Out

Numerous ant nests in lawn at Maryborough Queensland

Ant MoundsAnt Mounds

Hi folks, thanks in anticipation of any advice given. I have more mounds of ants than I can count. Since they first appeared, they have travelled about 15 metres along the footpath. Possibly they are also the cause of the ground being very soft under foot. I am beginning to think a "sink hole" is forming. Hopefully Bunnings have a product to eradicate them. Please do not suggest dynamite.

Prawns
Becoming a Leader

Re: Numerous ant nests in lawn at Maryborough Qld.

Ant Sand on the grass probably will need a few treatments

If you have ant nests in your footpath in cracks in the concrete etc - cheaper to try boiling water first there - then ant sand after (brush ant sand into any concrete path cracks) just dont try boiling water on your grass it kills the grass pretty fast.
https://www.bunnings.com.au/search/products?q=ant%20sand&sort=BoostOrder&page=1

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Numerous ant nests in lawn at Maryborough Queensland

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @harrydraman. It's good to have you join us. 

Great to see you receive prompt and helpful assistance from the wonderful @Prawns. Please let us know how you go with the suggestions provided. @EricL and lawn care expert @Adam_W might also be able to add to the discussion. 

Feel free to post anytime you need a hand around the house or garden.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Numerous ant nests in lawn at Maryborough Queensland

Hello @harrydraman

Thank you for joining us and sharing your concern about your ant nest infestation problem.

It's great that you've received excellent advice from @Prawns. Looking at the picture you posted it seems like a Funnel ant colony. These types of ants leave little cone-shaped dirt mounds. They usually dig out the earth to allow their nests to dry out after heavy rainfall. Using contact-type insecticides is one way to control them. However, it will not kill the nest and the problem will re-occur.

I suggest using PestXpert 150g Nest Kill Granular Ant Bait. Nest Kill Ant Bait consists of irresistible ant food and a slow-acting insecticide. Simply sprinkle the bait over the area where ants are active and the ants will take the bait back to the nest killing the colony.

If there are neighboring nests around your area you may have to employ the services of a professional pest controller for long-term control. 

Please let us know if you need more information.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects