Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Our dream home with a not so dreamy yard!

bengroll
Growing in Experience

Our dream home with a not so dreamy yard!

Hi everyone. First time poster: first time home owner: first time gardener!! 

My wife and I, after MANY years of delays, have finally moved into our newly built home. With the builder gone, now it's

time for us to do the gardens! And wow it's a bit of work:

front yardfront yard

back "yard"back "yard"sidesideafter day oneafter day one

As you (hopefully) can see: we live on a sloping, rocky block. The build left lots of the site in a bit of a mess: lots of rock and dirt where they "built" and then lots of overgrown areas where they didn't do anything.

My first project was to tackle the mess at the front (first pic). After a good days cutting and slashing, I managed to at least reduce the eye sore (last pic), but I'm at a loss now as to how to progress. What are my options to grow anything in that rocky mess at the front? 

I am thinking my best  is to excavate a bit at the front to remove the horrible dirt/stone top layer, re-soil with "something" then seed/turf it. The batter is the other issue: how does one re-soil a slope without all the product sliding off? 
So that's my discussion point. Where do I move forward to next. The side and back yards will have to wait a few more weeks: the organic waste bin is already too full!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Our dream home with a not so dreamy yard!

Hello @bengroll

Fantastic advice as always from @Adam_W. As he has recommended always have drainage. To help you with your calculations just keep in mind that the 200 x 50mm 2.4m Treated Pine Sleeper H4 is only 200mm high. I suggest drawing your plan out on paper first. This will give you a very good idea of where to put the sleepers and how much of the hill needs to be altered.  It's also very sound advice to go and check with your local council the rules and regulations regarding setting up retaining walls.

If you've seen a garden you would like to emulate, imagine how you can transfer that idea to your garden plan.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your garden plan.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects