Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Plant recommendations needed.

LadyLover62
Getting Established

Plant recommendations needed.

Hi, I live in Mandurah WA 1 hour south of Perth City. I’ve recently moved back into my home that I had rented out for 10 years. Now I’ve finished internal renovations and sorted lawns, I need to fill the gaps in my full sun back yard garden.

looking for suggestions of easily maintained shrubs for greenery and a flowering one if possible. Can you also advise me what is best to put in the hole dug for the shrubs to have the best start nutrient wise. It is summer and hot would I be best to wait til the cooler months or do some plants like the hot weather to be transplanted in(I would obviously do it in the cooler morning or evening) 

thankyou for any advice 

LadyLover62
Getting Established

a fast growing climber please

Looking for suggestions on fast growing climbing plants to cover up fencing

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Plant recommendations needed.

Hi @LadyLover62,

Australian natives are always my go-to suggestion for easily maintained shrubs in full sun locations. For flower beds, Swan River daisies and kangaroo-paws are a great option. Some shrubs to consider: Banksias, Bottlebrushes, Gum trees, Grevilleas, Hakeas, Lilly pillys, Australian tea-trees, Wattles and Waratahs. These will benefit from being planted in an excellent quality medium similar to Scotts Osmocote 25L Native Premium Potting Mix

I recently recommended a grafted flowering Gum to my mother, who has just moved into a new property with no trees. They come in dwarf varieties and are spectacular when in full blossom. They also encourage an enormous amount of wildlife to feed on them, including native bees and Lorikeets.

For your fence, you might like to view Climbers to dress up Colorbond fence by @royq. Some fast-growing climbers: Wisteria, Star jasmine, Bougainvillea, Boston ivy, Crimson glory vine, Passionfruit vines and Mandevillas.

Please let me know if you need further assistance or had questions.

Mitchell

Gum.pnggum flowering.png

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects