Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Raised vegetable garden

Meling
Building a Reputation

Raised vegetable garden

Hi , raised vege garden 

Sleepers non arsenic 

2400 x 1000 x 600

carriage bolts 

galvanised screws 

irrigation tubing 

bird netting 

1 and 1/4 cubic vege soil 

approximately $300 

Purchased everything from Bunnings 

2AAD1B87-10BD-41E1-A430-8F44AA2F3E10.jpeg

FE33D391-32F8-4964-AC6C-AE49DCFC9A50.jpeg

1517EF22-D806-40EF-9DBE-37B607976412.jpeg

BE5BAE92-C73D-49C1-A280-0BBDD5D5B81F.jpeg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Raised vegetable garden

Well done @Meling and many thanks for sharing. 

Raised garden beds are particularly popular with visitors to the site at the moment as there is a significant increase in interest about growing your own food. I'm sure plenty of people will take inspiration from your work. 

Looking forward to seeing what you tackle next.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Looks really good @Meling. Nice one. 👍

I can't read the labels in your photo and I was just wondering what you will be growing in there?

Meling
Building a Reputation

Hi Rattle, this is a first growing anything from seed so to my surprise I have been sprouts! I planted broccoli, snow peas, Japanese turnip, Bok Choi, garlic and bitter melon.

thanks for liking 

Oh, nice @Meling. Do let us know how you go a bit further down the track when they really get growing.

I've always planted seedlings and this is my first year of planting vegies from seed, so I was pretty excited to see things sprout.

Good luck with yours. 🙂

Meling
Building a Reputation

Maybe you can help? I have sprouts popping up and probably too many seeds close Together. Is it ok to feather them out, they are about 10cm high ? 

I'm no expert @Meling, but I'm of the understanding that you certainly can and it's good practice to thin them out.

Just be really careful with the roots and the seedling itself as they are such delicate little things.

I've thinned a couple of things out so far and transplanted them where there's more room in the bed or into another container.

Good luck! 🙂

th-DIYER
Growing in Experience

Well done @Meling I’ve had this on my to-do list for a while but couldn’t find the non-arsenic sleepers at my local Bunnings. The only ACQ sleepers is a small prefabricated veggie patch they sell in the gardening section. However, I want to make a big one like you have. Could you send me a picture of it on the Bunnings website please? My other option is going to a local timber yard. Thanks in advance

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Workshop community @th-DIYER. It's great to see you make your first post!

We have a range of sleepers which are CuAz (Copper Azole) treated that will be suitable for vegetable and herb growing beds. Those products are Ironwood 200 x 50mm 2.4m Sienna Treated Pine SleeperIronwood 200 x 50mm 3.0m Sienna Treated Pine Sleeper and Ironwood 200 x 75mm 3.0m Sienna Treated Pine Sleeper.

We also have hardwood sleepers available through our Special Orders which have no treatment at all.

If you would like further information about these products or had other questions, please let me know.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Meling
Building a Reputation

@th-DIYER 

Hello, thanks for your enquiry. I see that Mitchell Mc has replied below the posts with some information about the Bunnings timber. The timber I used was the sienna copper treated hardwood in this link. It was available on shelf at the Bunnings at Belrose.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/ironwood-200-x-50mm-2-4m-sienna-treated-pine-sleeper_p8423133

Thanks Mitchellmc for the information 
Good luck DH-dyer 

regards

Mel 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects