Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Saucer for Northcote Pottery terracotta pot

Cam84
Finding My Feet

Saucer for Northcote Pottery terracotta pot

Hi, what size saucer fits a Northcote Pottery 350mm Copper Glazed Terracotta Primo Mod Square Pot? I'm trying to shop online in lockdown and the product descriptions don't say. https://www.bunnings.com.au/northcote-pottery-350mm-copper-glazed-terracotta-primo-mod-square-pot_p2... 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Pots & saucers

Hello @Cam84

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thank you so much for joining us sharing your question about the compatibility of the Copper Primo Pot to the Copper Primo Saucer.

That is an excellent question. Let me make some enquiries for you to find out if the Northcote Pottery Copper Primo Square Saucer - 200mm is the saucer for the Northcote Pottery 350mm Copper Glazed Terracotta Primo Mod Square Pot. Once I get an answer, I will get back to you.

Are you replanting an existing plant or are you planting a new one? Please don't hesitate to post your projects, our members are more than happy to provide you with advice and information should you need it.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Cam84
Finding My Feet

G'day Eric,

Thank you. I'm potting a pair of jasminum polyanthums on a balcony. Can anyone advise on whether I should put drainage cloth in the base of the pots?

I've never used it before - normally I just lay some coarse gravel in the bottom of a pot. I've seen recommendations to separate the potting mix from the gravel to assist with repotting in future, but I don't forsee the need to repot these Jasmines regularly...

I'm guessing with drainage cloth it's a matter of 'if you've got it, use it. But if not, don't stress.'

Advice appreciated,

Cam

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Cam84,

I've had a look at those products for you, and there are three corresponding saucers, one for each of the pots in that range. The saucer for the Northcote Pottery 350mm Copper Glazed Terracotta Primo Mod Square Pot is a Northcote Pottery Copper Primo Square Saucer - 300mm. Those square pots taper down 50mm at their base.

Gravel has worked perfectly well at the bottom of pots for generations. The only advantage I can see from adding drainage cloth is that it will stop fine sediment from escaping. The downside to this is it might become partially blocked and cause a water retention issue. 

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Hi Mitchell,

Thanks for your reply. Sorry to be a pain, but are you certain the 300mm saucer isn't too big for the 350mm pot? I only ask because the 350mm pot seems to taper a lot more than 50mm. Does the 300mm just have a wide rim?

Thanks,

Cam

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@Cam84,

I've just had a team member in-store try the combination I've suggested, and they've said there is around a 1cm gap between the pot and the internal rim of the saucer. "Just enough to tell if there is water in there and it fits snuggly, which looks really nice." The finish should be much the same as the image I've included below.

I hope that assists.

Mitchell

Good on you Mitchell. That’s perfect!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects