Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Side garden on slope and weeds have been rampant

zarapriceless
Finding My Feet

Side garden on slope and weeds have been rampant

Hi there,

I'm trying to tidy up the side of my house, I wouldn't call it a side garden yet because it's just dirt, but have high hopes that it will be. Ive recently just pulled out the old weedmat that was down there as it was coming loose in places and just looked shabby. That was a mission and a half because the annoying tree right in the middle had its roots all entwined in it but got there.  Now I need to lay more weedmat because the weeds are rampant in that area but please ignore the weedmat down in the pic as my flatmate was trying to be helpful by putting it down but did it wrong and it's coming up anyway. I don't know what to do here now!!! The slope is too much to just chuck mulch over some weedmat as will all end up at the bottom. I cant afford that fancy plastic base stuff that holds mulch in place. So then I thought I could have pavers going down to the gate at the bottom (down left side beside house) and kind of dig so there were like 3 levels to the side of the path and put garden bed edging around them so it is like graduated levels ... But that's a lot of digging. So my other idea was still have the big pavers going down to the gate but leave the slope and plant lots of ground cover plants with little stepping stones across to the other side at like 3 places down the hill.... There's a pic of what it looked like before and my progress so far...

20220118_222936.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Side garden on slope and weeds have been rampant

How can we help @zarapriceless?

Side areas can be difficult to deal with but we'd certainly be happy to suggest ideas if you let us know what you are struggling with.

I would recommend you come up with a list of priorities for the space, and perhaps a sketch or design of what you hope to achieve. The excellent guide How to plan a garden makeover by experienced member @Adam_W should provide plenty of assistance.

You might also like to get ideas and inspiration from our Top 10 most popular garden makeovers and Ideas to revamp your side yard

Hope that helps.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

I was just wanting some ideas or suggestions because I keep changing my mind 🤯

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @zarapriceless

One way to control the passing of water on a slope is to put in sleepers. They act like mini retaining walls and help control the erosion of the soil. You can divide the trouble area into sections. This will allow you to plan the area out and put in some steps to help you go down the slope. If you have time on your hands, there is no need to rush this project. You can add one part of your plan to the area every week until it's complete. But if you have friends who can lend a hand it would make the project go faster. 

I've placed a sketch below of how it could be laid out. If you wish to see it in another configuration please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects