Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Small weed sprayer with long wand?

pstq
Having an Impact

Small weed sprayer with long wand?

I prefer to use a weed sprayer with a long wand so I can hold the tip near to the ground so the spray goes on the weeds instead of on me. I've got a 10l backpack with a long wand, but it's too awkward.

I like these little ones: https://www.bunnings.com.au/nylex-2l-manual-garden-sprayer_p2961998

but they don't have a wand. Is there any way to fit one?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Small weed sprayer with long wand?

Hi @pstq,

Long wands are included on 5L and larger sprayers. There is no wand that is designed to suit the smaller sprayers similar to the Nylex 2L Manual Garden Sprayer. You could potentially make your own system by removing the spray nozzle on the smaller unit, connecting some clear vinyl tube and fitting that onto a Silvan Trolley Sprayer Replacement Lance. I suspect you'll need to use tube joiners to alter the tube's size if the sprayer and wand don't have the same connection size.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

I thought of that, but couldn't work out any way to connect tubing to the sprayer.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@pstq,

If you unscrew the blue spray tip, there will be an actuating valve underneath. You should be able to push-fit the tubing over it without interfering with it. A hose clamp could be used to hold the tube in position if needed.

Mitchell

Good idea. The diameter of the thread is about 15.5mm. Do you think 13mm tubing would fit over it? And would a hose clamp then seal it well enough?

Then I'd need some way to fit the smaller tubing of the wand onto it.

Do you think I could make a screw on adapter with epoxy putty? If I moulded it onto the screw thread then carefully unscrewed it so it could dry, maybe it would be able to screw back on. I could mould it to fit into the wand hose, then drill a hole though it later. I've got general purpose epoxy putty, but it's like dried clay when it's dried, so I don't think it would be suitable. Is there an epoxy putty that's like plastic when it's dry?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @pstq

I suggest heating the plastic hose in very hot water so that it expands to fit the nozzle of the pump. You then attach a Kinetic 6-16mm 304 Stainless Steel Hose Clamp to keep the plastic hose in place. I don't think epoxy putty would be suitable as the constant wetness will disintegrate the bond of the putty and will eventually collapse. 

To attach the plastic hose to the wand, I suggest putting some Kinetic Assorted Sizes O Ring Kit - 43 Pack onto the body of the wand. Slide the plastic tube over the wand then secure it with another 6-16 Stainless Steel Hose Clamp. 

Let me tag our experienced members @JoeAzza and @TedBear  for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

JoeAzza
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @pstq 

Great ideas from @MitchellMc  and @EricL , here is another suggestion, I found this on Youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lwa2aGIfoo0

I found a similar sprayer on the Bunnings website, you could modify it the what is shown on the video.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/aqua-systems-5l-garden-pressure-sprayer-kit

JoeAzza_0-1632996525334.png

pstq
Having an Impact

I get it now. I was screwing the whole piece off. If i just unscrew the blue nozzle, I can fit 10mm tubing over it ok. I'll have to hunt around and see if I have any hose clamps that size. Surely I do among all those containers of junk.

@JoeAzza thanks for the video link. I hadn't even though about extending the wand yet, but I likely will once I get one attached. I have a 5l sprayer and I think a 10l sprayer I can take it off. I rarely use those because they're a pain to carry around.

pstq
Having an Impact

Finally got around to doing this. I put plumbing tape around the thread to help seal it before pushing the tubing on. I don't think O rings would help because it could still leak along the thread under the rings. It leaks a tiny bit, needs a bit more tape. I used the wand off a 5l sprayer. It needs to be a few inches longer so I can put the nozzle to the ground without bending over. I might try cutting and extending it, rather than buying a longer one.

One problem with this arrangement is that it's awkward screwing the lid on the bottle with the hose attached. Bottles designed for a hose have the hose attached to the bottle, not to the lid.

IMG_2794.JPG

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Very ingenious @pstq! That looks much more functional now.

Many thanks for sharing your finished sprayer.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects