Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Soil for lawn seed?

ivanptr
Making a Splash

Soil for lawn seed?

Hi I have another area of 0.2sqm size which need some work.

The highlighted area was grown by former owner but the grading is all wrong that rainwater can flow back to the house.

I'm planning to redo the area. By digging out 3cm thick layer of the lawn. Then replace it with some quality soil. Current soil is dead and totally dried out.

I'm not in hurry for this area. So I can replace the soil and use lawn seed instead of turf.

So which brand and soil do you recommend? What size?

Should we buy compost?

Thank you for any suggestions.

signal-2021-08-27-180135.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Soil for lawn seed?

Hello @ivanptr

It's great to see that you have another project on the go! If the area is 2 meters long and 20cm deep, you will need to cover an area of 0.4 sq meters. Since you want to raise it by 3 cm, you multiply the square meter area by the volume height which is 3cm. This will give you an answer of 12 litres. I suggest using 1 bag of Scotts Osmocote 25L Garden Soil Premium Planting Mix. This will be enough to cover the area at the height you've specified. Please keep us updated. We would be keen to see the repair once it's done.

If you need further assistance, please let us know. 

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

new soil.jpg

Hi Eric , all the mess and damages were finally fixed. Our jaw dropped when we found out how much damage the previous tenant could bring to a property.

For the last 2 months we have been fixing walls, repainting garage, repairing downpipes and the lawn, for the first time and yet successfully, thanks to your valuable advice

And the new occupants of this house love it , really appreciate all the work we have done.

Just want to say, wholehearted thanks for ur products recommendations and also many suggestions from other intelligent members around here .

Love this forum. So supportive.

Cheers! Ivan

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @ivanptr

It's good to hear that all the damage has been fixed. If you come across another project that needs doing, please don't hesitate to post. We are more than happy to give you advice and information.

We look forward to seeing your next project.

Eric

Hi Eric, 

We have another front yard with a large area of dead malnourished soil to revive and rebuild the lawn.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/richgro-25l-all-purpose-garden-soil-mix_p2961503

Would you recommend this product for lawn seed and turf?

I see its cheaper but not sure if its good for lawn seed and turfs.

Love to hear your thoughts and ideas.

Thank you so much.

Ivan

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @ivanptr,

@EricL will be back on the site after the weekend, and I'm sure he will update the discussion if he has anything to add.

That all-purpose garden soil isn't really going to help the situation and is better suited to bulking out garden beds. I'd recommend you use something similar to Scotts Lawn Builder 25L Organic Lawn Soil Topdress & Underlay or, for a budget option, Pinegro 25L Soil Improver Top Dress Mix. Cheaper options often include a substantial amount of unbroken down bark chips, and what you really need is composted material. Adding bark chips is only going to worsen the situation.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

We are a bit confused. We ordered some topsoil from a landscaping supplier and the vendor told us the topsoil will need fertilizer when we want to plant grass seed. 

We then googled the definition of topsoil:

ivanptr_0-1631492076528.jpeg

Isnt the top soil already rich in nutrition the grass seed need ?

Do we need to spread some of these on the topsoil?
Scotts Lawn Builder 4kg Starter Slow Release Lawn Fertiliser

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@ivanptr,

It sounds like the Google reference is talking about natural topsoil, which has been created from many years' worth of decomposing organic material. When you order topsoil, it is a manufactured soil suitable to be used as topsoil. Regardless of the soil type, it's always a good idea to spread some Scotts Lawn Builder 4kg Starter Slow Release Lawn Fertiliser. The fertiliser will really help the germinated seed thicken up and establish quickly.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects