Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Strelitza (Giant Bird of Paradise ) tree roots problem

CliveV
Getting Established

Strelitza (Giant Bird of Paradise ) tree roots problem

How to kill roots of a massive, really massive, giant strelitza tree that has just been chopped down and is reshooting.  The giant strelitza roots have spread and heaved up a wall and part of a driveway both of which will have to be remedied.  The problem is that only a few days after an arboriculturist chain sawed the trunks/stems down to the base new shoots are already emerging  like green rockets. I asked for the stump to be ground out but, apparently, a stump grinder progress would be brought to a sticky halt by the plants going mushy.

I know that I need to dig the roots out when they're dead, but how to kill them first?

Re: Strelitza (Giant Bird of Paradise ) tree roots problem

Hi @Mandydl 

The tree and blackberry killer  has  different formulation  but the results will be very similar. As blackberries tough to erriadicate.

How  this  suffices  till @Noelle  can advise as well

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Mandydl. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about herbicides.

I'll include the uses of Yates 250ml Tree And Blackberry Weed Killer Concentrate below. Unfortunately, it is designed to be used on specific plants, and Bird of Paradise is not one of them. I'd suggest you stick with the advice provided in the discussion, which is to use Zero or RoundUp.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

It would be OK to use wither glyphosate (diluted 1 part in 6 of water)  as per previous posts or the Blacberry & Tree Killer/  It is not possible for a manufacturer to include every possible scenario on the label instructions of any product, which is why bird of paradise is not specifically mentioned. However, you can usually assume that, if a wide range of plants is listed, then the advice will translate to plants not listed as well. Don't feviate from the 'how to use' instructions and you should get the results you are after.

CliveV
Getting Established

Thanks for the advice and suggestions. I'm confident that my problem is now dealt with. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects