Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to convert concrete side yard to vege patch?

DavidBrent
Growing in Experience

How to convert concrete side yard to vege patch?

Hi all

What would the best way of building a herb/vegetable garden be in this unused area here but is concrete as a base?

Building large raised garden beds? How do you account for drainage etc?

Thanks

1000005686.png

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How to convert concrete side yard to vege patch?

Hello again @DavidBrent

Adding raised garden beds is indeed one way our members have grown vegetables in their side yards. Check out Side yard renovation with raised garden beds by @abhayks as an example. Our Top 10 most popular side yard projects contains more inspiring ways to revamp your side yard and might spark some ideas. 

Let me also tag our knowledgeable members @marliemakesit@diy_hausdesigns and @mich1972 for their thoughts. 

Akanksha

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Afternoon @DavidBrent 

Greening a concreted area just makes sense :smile: I have seen people build up raised garden beds as @Akanksha mentions on top of pallets. If you could find some hardwood pallets and then chop them in half they could be used to run a line down the edge of the fence or even stagger off the fence. With the hardwood bases you could screw the raised bed walls to them, Line the inside with a plastic liner so you dont need to worry about contaminants.

The best thing I can think of is you have a solid old pallet to build with you could even add a post to either end to help raise tomatoes/beans ect.

As to drainage you have a few options, small holes in the base plate timber/plastic liner. Or holes up the side a little so the bottom will always have moisture in it. Depends on what you might be growing. If you fill the base with course material (old twigs/branches/woodchips) then the soil wont want to drain through teh holes you make, I am only talking small holes such as 6mm or 1/4" sizes

Dave

Hi @DavidBrent 

You  have the absolute  perfect Space for  laying a besser wall 4 sides and 2 height which is  400mm deep veg  patch. Put on some cement capping or other capping.  fill  with organic dirt and grow  produce.

Drainage  is achieved by not cementing every second  besser between brick morter gap on the lower row,

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Afternoon @DavidBrent 

Was about to sign off and then this project caught my eye! It would fit your area nicely!

Outdoors seating with planter and storage  

You could modify it to suit the area you want to use.

Dave

Aussie-Garden
Becoming a Leader

G'day @DavidBrent (one of my fave characters and shows of all time).

I'd definitely look into raised garden beds with legs or beds on top of pallets and even using the fence for hanging planters and pots with herbs, strawberries, flowers for pollinators etc...

I imagine that the concrete has a fall for drainage, so raised beds draining onto it will get rid of that water for you and no weeds between the beds. Nice!

You could even hide the concrete between the beds with a load of pine bark for instance.

What a fun project this would be.

Good luck!

DavidBrent
Growing in Experience

Thanks for everyone's replies!

It's great to see you've already received some helpful replies @DavidBrent. I just thought I'd add that any number of the Birdies Raised Garden Beds would work perfectly in this space and with minimal effort, you'll be planting your crops in no time.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects