Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Want to find a herbicide for kikuyu lawn

silverservice24
Finding My Feet

Want to find a herbicide for kikuyu lawn

I want to know what herbicide I have to use in my kikuyu lawn for weeds like grass, thx 

E2CABBBF-F442-4A5E-91DF-63577C968658.jpeg

5EC65EBD-979F-451C-9F5F-0F01AD4B131B.jpeg

C2DDA8B7-8D2D-410A-8C0B-9BC105D2CDC2.jpeg

silverservice24
Finding My Feet

Re: Want to find a herbicide for kikuyu lawn

I had already used brunning paspalum killer on it but it didn’t work…

Welcome @silverservice24. It's great to have you join us.

Let me tag experienced members @Adam_W and @Noelle for their suggestions.

Have you checked out How to weed your lawn?

Stevie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @silverservice24 

The grassy weed you have may be Winter Grass. Apart from paspalum, it is about the only grassy weed for which there is a herbicide control!

There are two brands of Winter Grass killer available in Bunnings so it would be worth giving one of them a try.

Killing a weedy or invasive grass in a lawn is not easy because generally anything that will kill the weed grass could potentially also kill the turf grass. In most instances hand removal is the safest option from the lawn's perspective.  It may be possible to very carefully spot spray with a general non-selective herbicide such as Slasher or Roundup but the chances of hitting more than just the target grass are high, resulting in dead patches.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @silverservice24,

To add to @Noelle's excellent advice, if you want to use glyphosate to kill weed grass, you can selectively apply it with a Yates Zero Weeding Herbicide Applicator Brush. That way, you can walk around brushing the tips of the Winter grass, which avoids getting it on your lawn. It's a great tool for applying strong weed killers to specific areas without damaging other plants.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @Noelle thanks for reply but I don’t think it’s winter grass because there was some winter grass was there and I already removed them I am putting one more pic of this weed and it’s soft with sharp long leaves & if you don’t move it grow tall.

7A0FE743-2274-48F7-9AAD-26811F1E22AF.jpeg

Hi again @silverservice24 

Yes, definitely NOT Winter Grass!  This makes your control options that much more difficult.  I think @MitchellMc has the best solution - the glyphosate weeding brush.  It will be tedious but well worth it in the long run. Brushing it while it is tall will be helpful. Make sure you either poison or mow it before it sets seed heads otherwise it will be an ongoing problem for years to come.  Seeds can remain viable for several years after they have been dispersed.

Thx dear for quick reply and yes I will try with it 😊

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects