Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What are these shrubs?

CEH
Cultivating a Following

What are these shrubs?

We have a number of these shrubs along the garden fences. I have trimmed them, but 2 or 3 are either dying of quite sick. The house has been leased and the shrubs may not have been watered. I'd like to know what they are as we'll probably have to replace some.

The photo is a very large one in the front garden

Any advice will be very welcome.

CEHIMG_0694.jpeg

Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: What are these shrubs?

Given the appearance of the suspected dead bushes, I doubt they are worth saving. It sounds like the sandy subsoil is at or just above the water table suggesting wet feet will almost certainly be the answer.  The top soil may dry out but it is what is hidden beneath that can cause problems.

I'd build up the soil level and then consider replanting.

BradN
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Noelle. Thanks very much for your thoughts. Perhaps the common name "coastal rosemary" gives a hint as to what Westringia likes. Coastal areas often have sandy soils that drain quickly, so a lot of coastal plants want good drainage. 

Just tagging @CEH to make sure they're aware of your reply.

Cheers,

Brad

CEH
Cultivating a Following

Thank you BradN and Noelle, (and others!)

I have talked to my daughter with whom I share the house, and having considered ways to overcome the problem, we've pretty well decided that there is no good reason to have the hedge along the waterfront, which is quite attractive. I've attached a photo which shows the hedge and the water, and we think the best idea might be to rip the hedge out. Perhaps we could plant some shallow-rooting small shrubs or flowering plants in it place? By the way, those grass bushes on the left have been trimmed since the photo was taken!

I'd be grateful if you can comment on that idea.

Regards,

Charles

IMG_0020.jpeg

BradN
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Charles ( @CEH ). Is that fresh water or a salty lake connected to a salty river or canal? The level of salt is an important consideration in deciding what to plant.

The fact that your Westringia plants have grown so well there in previous years suggests that they are well suited to your backyard. The problem might be a recent change to the environment in your backyard, such as a rise in the water level or a deterioration in the quality of the soil.

As @Noelle suggested, you might want to consider building up the level of the soil by making a raised garden bed with sleepers or something and filling that with fresh, free-draining garden soil.

But if you just want a clear, unobstructed water view, by all means go for that. You could put in some new low-rise plants, or even just a few nice feature plants in ornamental pots to create a completely different look. You could even put in a slightly raised garden bed and then plant it out with the very same Westringia.

You can always get lots of good ideas by looking at what plants are thriving in your neighbours' yards, and by looking at what the council has planted in your local parks and roundabouts. If you take some photos of plants you like we can try to identify them for you...

Cheers,

Brad

CEH
Cultivating a Following

Hi Brad & Noelle, I've done some research. The majority of houses fronting the lake don't have hedges, whether from preference or because of adverse conditions. I'm waiting to hear from the local authority about the lake, type of water, level changes etc. We've decided to let things lie and see how the remaining shrubs get on. If they keep dying, we'll probably get rid of the hedge and use some low plants or pot plants as you and Noelle suggested. Thank you all for your help and advice.

Cheers,

Charles

CEH
Cultivating a Following

Hi Brad & Noelle -- the estate services have advised me that the lake is brackish (mix of salt & fresh water), and the level rises with heavy rain such as we've had in the past year. It is currently higher than normal. They also said the lot may have a Bioremediation Drainage System outlet feeding into the lake. If that is not flowing or blocked it could result in the wet undersoil. I can't see an outlet but they said it could be under water.

Anyway, all that strengthens my feeling that we'd best see how the remaining plants go, and then if necessary replace the hedge with some small decorative shrubs or pot plants.

Again, many thanks to you and the community for all your consideration and advice.

Cheers,

Charles

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects