Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What do I feed these things?

Deanna
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

What do I feed these things?

Hi All

My two blueberry bushes (or "Tributes" as I like to call them - Hunger Games fans will get that) are holding their own but now that it's spring - they apparently like to be fed.  

Can you suggest a type of fertilizer I would use on them? Would I go organic as I hope to be eating any berries they produce as their way of saying thanks for not killing them? 

greygardener
Becoming a Leader

Re: What do I feed these things?

From Yates:

Blueberries come from peat-filled acidic soils in their native northern hemisphere homelands so they tend to do well in areas where azaleas flourish. If your soil is a bit higher in pH and less acidic, it’s helpful to start by digging some pre-moistened peat moss into the soil before planting, or grow the plants in pots filled with an acidic mix. Try to avoid using manure, especially chicken or horse manure.

Feed lightly in spring, summer and early autumn with some Acticote for Fruit, Citrus, Trees & Shrubs. Mulch with a layer of organic matter such as partially broken down autumn leaves. This mimics the plants’ natural growing conditions in the forest.

Thanks @greygardener

I like to ask in here, so it looks like I know what I'm talking about when I head to my local Bunnings  LOL

You may have noticed, I'm not much of a green thumb. I have 3 plants:  buddha fig belly, a cactus, and a zygocactus - all of which don't require that much commitment from me - I haven't managed to kill them yet  :smile: 

A blueberry bush is a big step for me  LOL 

Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

@Deanna, before you rush off to Bunnings, you might wanna wait for it to be confirmed by @ProjectPeteMoss.  :wink: :giggle: :hysterical: :embarassed:

Thanks for the tag @Andy_Mann but I'm no green thumb my friend. I'm good at succulents and frangipanis :cheeky:

GL with the blueberries @Deanna. I love blueberries.

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

How are your blueberry plants going @Deanna?

I see Yates has some tips here that you might find useful - http://www.yates.com.au/garden-calendar/october/fruit/?ecid=DM869

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Soiled
Growing in Experience

Hi, I have about 8 blueberry plants in containers which flower and fruit very well.

I feed with Azaelia food at end of winter then after fruiting I give a little more. My secret is Trofort M, granuals, expensive but so worth it. They feed the soil which in turn allows the plant to access all the nuitients avaliable to them. I also water the containers everyday to allow enough moisture to enable the fruit to grow large and juicey.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Nice work @Soiled. Many thanks for sharing your secrets.

Let me also extend a very warm welcome to the Workshop community. It's fantastic to have you join us. I hope you find the site enjoyable and informative. Please let me know if you need a hand getting the most from the site.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Deanna
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi @Soiled

Newbie to blueberries, so with the Trofort M, granuals, do you use that before or after fruiting?  I have already feed my two tributes Azaliea food. 

Soiled
Growing in Experience

Hi Deanne, as Troforte M isn't a fertiliser you can use it any time any where in the garden, including containers, It last for approx 6 months. Troforte M is packed with hundreds if not thousands of good microbes that feed the soil only, hence the need for proper fertiliser. I have been using this product(s) since it was launched and find that I get AMAZING results. I am NOT in anyway associated with the company, just a very happy customer who likes to share a good product. Regards Grace.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects