Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What is attacking my fruit trees?

SarangR
Growing in Experience

What is attacking my fruit trees?

Hi Team,

Hope someone can assist me with the problem I am currently facing in my garden.

We have some fruit trees ( guava, lemon & orange ) in our backyard and since last week all of them have been attacked by an animal/bug/insect ( not sure ).

It is very concerning as everyday it is ruining all my fruit bearing plants.

Seems to be eating all the leaves and breaking the branches as posted in pics

Also found some animal droppings near the plant. Not sure which animal though.

Appreciate if someone can provide me with some guidance.

Thank you,

Sarang

Animal Droppings 1Animal Droppings 1Orange Tree DamageOrange Tree DamageIMG-3223 (1).JPGLemon Tree DamageLemon Tree DamageAnimal Droppings 2Animal Droppings 2Lime TreeLime Tree

pstq
Having an Impact

Re: What is attacking my fruit trees?

That's possum poo, but I don't know if they're what ate the leaves.

SarangR
Growing in Experience

Thank you for the feedback. 

picto
Finding My Feet

I agree with @pstq on the possum poo.  I'm not an expert on anything so what I do in my garden is to check for caterpillars on, under, all over (be careful as some are irritating if brushed against).  If I can't see anything I will take several close up photos and see if anything pops up under magnification.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @SarangR,

Sorry to see that your trees have been attacked.

You might get some helpful tips in this popular and long-running discussion: Your tips for keeping possums away

Let me also tag the wonderful @Noelle and @ChloeThomson for their thoughts.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
petasc
Just Starting Out

IMG_2169.jpeg

IMG_2054.jpeg

IMG_2068.jpeg

I have had similar damage to my orange, lemon and lime tree, mainly to the tree and not so much the fruit. Limbs and leaved being stripped, and defoliation, I’ve always blamed snails and took every precaution against them that I could but damage was still happening. So thank you possums may also be my pest though I haven’t seen droppings. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @petas. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for jumping into the discussion.

I'm pleased to see that the information provided has helped identify your issue. From the damage to your plant, I would think it's highly likely that it's from possums. I'd recommend you throw bird netting over the plants held up and off them with garden stakes and then peg the bottom down to the ground. That should prevent possums from accessing the tender new shoots.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects