Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What is this plant and why it is not healthy?

ppp
Having an Impact

What is this plant and why it is not healthy?

4CF33734-37EC-401B-A0BD-468F5E2BAC35.jpeg

Can some one help me here ? I have not watered much as we just started Spring. 
I will water regularly in summer.

How should I take care of it, to make those branches greenish and healthy ?

thanks

ProjectPete
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: what is this plant and why it is not healthy

I'm no expert @ppp  but it looks to me like a Sago Palm. If it is, you really want to look after it - they can be worth a few $$$.

Sago palms don't like too much water so no need to water during winter and rainy periods. I'd think hitting it with some Seasol and/or Powerfeed would give it some new life.

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: What is this plant and why it is not healthy?

Hi @ppp,

Welcome to Workshop. It's great to have you join us. 

Let me tag the ever-helpful @Noelle to see if she might assist by identifying your plant and offering some tips for caring for it. 

Feel free to post anytime you need a hand or have something to share. We are looking forward to reading about your projects and plans around the house and garden.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Have to agree with Project Pete - Sago Palm (Cycas revoluta) and yes, plants can be worth a few $$ so definitely worth looking after carefully.  Over-watering is deadly - this plant thrives in sandy soils where water drains freely. But that doesn't mean no watering at all. Water through the crown (centre) of the plant like you would a tree fern at least once a fortnight over summer when it's hot. Cut right back in cooler months.

A weak seaweed solution now may assist its overall health but be careful using fertilisers - little and not too often would be my guide.

robchin
Becoming a Leader

Hi @ppp. Sorry for the lateness of this.
Noelle is spot on with her comments.
I would also note that there appears to be a lot of Oxalis weed underneat the plant and it seems to be spreading way from the plant. Can I strongly suggest you start pulling that out NOW to stop it spreading. If it flowers a lot you'll have this problem for ages.
ppp
Having an Impact

These are really helpful suggestions. Thank you all.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects