Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What to use to turn a weedy lawn back to grass?

MeeK
Finding My Feet

What to use to turn a weedy lawn back to grass?

My back lawn is filled with weeds instead of grass.  I can't describe the weeds but they have small leaves, no flowers, don't grow tall and is quite soft on the feet:  I don't think anyone would suspect that it's not a green lawn unless you look at it closely.  I do not want too much work, like digging it up, but would like a suggestion of a mixture that will kill the weeds and give back some grass to the whole area.  Thanks for any suggestions. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What to use to turn a weedy lawn back to grass

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @MeeK. Thank you so much for joining us and sharing your question about 

turning your weedy lawn back to grass.

Before I make any recommendations, would it be possible for you to take a photo of the weed and post it? This will give our members a better idea of what kind of weed you have in your garden. It will then allow us to provide you with a comprehensive solution. Identifying the weed and type of grass you have is vital as using a wide spectrum weed killer might kill not only the weed but your grass as well.

I recommend reading this post - Save garden from weeds. It will provide you with excellent ideas on what steps to take to revive your lawn.

We look forward to seeing photos of your garden.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MeeK
Finding My Feet

Re: What to use to turn a weedy lawn back to grass?

Thanks Eric.  The back garden is in an unusual shape and I would guess it to be about 25 to 30 sq meter:  It's only an estimate.  As suggested, enclosed are 2 photos of the back lawn.  They are definitely not clovers.  They were originally carpet lawn pieces professionally laid.  I think I have neglected them but within a year or two, this has taken over.  I don't wish to re-do the whole lawn but maybe some products will do the job.  Please help.

Back Lawn #2 with some grass!?Back Lawn #2 with some grass!?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @MeeK,

From your image, there doesn't appear to be much grass there. Any poisoning of the weed will result in the need to re-establish the lawn from scratch. Giving this, can I ask, is there any reason to remove it? It looks quite lush, and as you've mentioned, it doesn't grow too tall, is soft to walk on, and no one would suspect it's not a lawn. It sounds like the perfect lawn substitute to me!

It appears as if it is a mix of clover and a broadleaf weed. The clover can be killed with Yates 4L BuffaloPro Hose On Lawn Weed Killer, and it should also remove the other broadleaf weed. After that treatment, you'll need to rake out the dead weed, apply Scotts Lawn Builder 25L Organic Lawn Soil Topdress & Underlay and then reseed.

I'm sure @Eric_L will add anything else he thinks of to the discussion upon his return.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks for all the suggestions.  I do like, especially Eric's " It sounds like the perfect lawn substitute to me!"  It is a great deal of work to rebuild this weedy 'lawn'. Thanks again and I'll let the matter rest and see whether I have the energy to do the wok.

Regards

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects