Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What veggies are you harvesting and sowing?

bergs
Making a Splash

What veggies are you harvesting and sowing?

IMG_20180207_142327.jpg

Hi All,

I just thought to ask what veges everyone is harvesting or sowing now.

This is the time of the year you can enjoy all of your hard work and reap the rewards from early Spring tasks, depending on your area.

The harvests from my garden are climbing beans, carrots, beetroot, spring onions, lettuce (Oak leaf etc. pick as it grows and doesn't take up as much room, self seeds everywhere and on hand most of the time), tomatoes are about to ripen, pumpkins nearly ready to store for drying, capsicum, chilies, rhubarb and  zucchinis are all doing well.

I don't do too bad considering I haven't got a lot of room and there are large trees all around.

I'm in Geelong and the Spring/Summer season is a great time to spend in the garden, so I make the best out of the weather.

The Spring and Summer crops hang on until early Autumn so I don't get much into the beds until late March.

I generally grow broad beans in Autumn followed by beefing up the soil in the beds for next Spring.

Not much grows in Winter as  the yard doesn't get enough sun.

Let us know what you harvest and plant at this time of the where ever you are?

Cheers bergs

Be happy and care for your tools
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: What Veggies are Members Harvesting and Sowing at the Moment?

Great topic @bergs, thanks for kicking it off. It sounds like your garden is really flourishing. 

We've also got a lot of rhubarb, which we give to anyone and everyone who comes to visit! We've also had a huge amount of basil which we've been using for delicious pesto. It's probably just about to go to seed. I got my first jalepeno harvest on the weekend, and have other chillis growing, so am looking forward to lots of jalepenos and chillis soon. The tomatoes are still green, but hopefully also coming soon. And we've got a lot of strawberry plants, so are getting a relatively small but steady supply of fruit. 

Looking forward to reading about other gardens, and seeing some photos!

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Here's some photos of what we're growing:

basil.jpg

Chilli.jpg

toms.jpg

rhubarb.jpg

jalepenos.jpg

strawberries.jpg

tomatoes.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

And one more thing, here's a guide for what to do in the garden in February for those unsure what to plant next. 

Jason

bergs
Making a Splash

Thanks @Jason

It is a great time in the garden at this time of the year.

Your tomatoes should ripen soon, especially with the weather now.

I'm still only getting the small Sweetbite tomato ripening.

I think after the original setback with my tomatoes, I will be getting plenty of ripe fruit during the next month.

I have at least four pumpkins set.

IMG_20180207_122858.jpgIMG_20180207_122915.jpg

IMG_20180207_122942.jpgIMG_20180207_123021.jpg

More photos soon. Trouble loading more.

Cheers bergs.

bergs
Making a Splash

Chilies are growing strongly and ripening (slowly).

These are Nellie Kellie which I literally ripped out of the ground three seasons ago and put in a pot.

IMG_20180207_123106.jpg

This is the Thai chili I bought from Bunnings

IMG_20180207_123141.jpg

Below is my Carolina Reaper which I also bought at the same time.

IMG_20180207_123158.jpg

Happy gardening, Cheers bergs

CathD
Making a Splash

We've had our first ripe tomatoes over the past week. Expecting a good harvest soon and will be making relish with the fruit we can't eat in time.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

I'm looking forward to seeing @kel join this discussion as her garden sounds fantastic. 

Other vegetable growers who might like to share include @darylhewston, @timjeffries, @CathM, @Eric, @bluebec, @Dale, @aly, @SarahCan, @RosieW, @Bobbiejohnultz and @QuailFlock.

Please let us know how your vegetable gardens are going. And tips for ensuring best-possible harvests are always appreciated!

Thanks,

Jason

bluebec
Building a Reputation

Looking much greener than my garden at the moment.  It's taken a pounding with the hot weather, but is still giving me many many tomatoes.

I have a few chillies that are slowly turning red, the corn is done, I'm letting some beans dry on the vine so that I can use them in winter, the eggplant is just looking at me wondering what I want (eggplants really, but apparently that is too big an ask).

My garden is (not so much the vegetable beds) overwhelmed with weeds, so I am not going to share any photos at this time. 

I am harvesting many kilos of tomatoes, and have borrowed/been given my mum's Fowlers Vacola botting kit (and supplies) so I'm trying that out.  I've also made tomato and onion relish and chilli tomato jam.

@bluebec,The relish and the jam sounds good.

When the tomatoes start to ripen you get an abundance of them and it's impossible to use them all.

It's also hard to give them away  because everyone else have their own crops. 

Last season we made relish and green tomato pickles, which have nearly run out now and we still have a heap of tomatoes in the freezer, with this seasons to add to them.

I'll need a good supply of glass jars for the relish and pickles.

I've just counted my tomato plants and I have 26. They are the beefstake variety and one slice fits on a slice of bread.

I put an extra seeds in, after I thought I cooked the first lot of seedlings in my hothouse and they have all grown and are all taller than me. I planted them against trellis and between two posts with wire attached to make them

easier to tie up.

These are some of my tomatoes.

IMG_20180207_123413.jpg

I have more tomatoes shoved in whereever I could find room.

IMG_20180207_142327.jpg

The capsicums are thriving and have green fruit big enough to pick. I like to leave them to turn red because I think they have more taste.

IMG_20180207_123311.jpg 

Fresh from the garden, what a great way to get some vegies.

Enjoy your garden,

Cheers bergs

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects