Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Which plants do I use to hide the fence?

hannah_d
Just Starting Out

Which plants do I use to hide the fence?

IMG_8568.jpeg

Hi all, 

This bit of fencing runs west to east, so is mostly in the shade. It only gets a couple of hours of sunlight in the late arvo in summer. It’s on the end of our patio, so I would love to plant something in pots - maybe a climbing plant? To hide the fence and soften the area up. I have no clue though, what would handle the lack of sunlight. Please share your suggestions! 

Thankyou! 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Which plants do I use to hide the fence?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @hannah_d. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about plants to hide a fence.

You might like to consider screening the fence first and then growing a plant over those screens. That way, you can immediately improve the look of the fence, and then you'll also get the greenery. Options you could consider but that do prefer slightly more light than you have would be Star Jasmin, Wisteria, Creeping Fig, Bougainvillea and Mandevillas.

Another option would be to use artificial hedging panels. They are far more realistic than ten years ago, and they have a luxury range that is really quite impressive. Here's a neat guide: How to build a plant wall feature.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Which plants do I use to hide the fence?

I'd also recommend Jasmine @hannah_d.

Check out this incredibly popular project, which has inspired many people in the community: Training climbers to screen a fence.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects