Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Whole lawn is weed

onthejob
Just Starting Out

Whole lawn is weed

   

Gday all,

just moved into this property (rental) and the lawn  is all weed. I’m wondering what I could do to possibly fix this? Would weed and feed work? Should I aerate it also? Or is this a case of starting fresh? It just recently rained that’s why it’s muddy. 

This is in sort of a new development area and most of the houses around here have lawns like this. 

3EEDBF58-D402-4155-9857-D8C99F23126C.jpeg

50B2F65A-B996-4910-9A6A-B826FEE8B9E3.jpeg

6032B224-091B-46FE-A8FF-35CBA258A7FF.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Whole lawn is weed

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @onthejob. It's great to have you join us and many thanks for your question.

Personally, I would start with a clean slate and apply a weed killer to the area removing all the weeds present. I would follow that up by aerating the lawn and filling those holes with Bastion 20kg River Sand. This will allow a route for water to drain through as the ground appears rather compacted which is possible due to standing water in the area. Once you have completed the aeration I would apply Hortico 25 Lawn Top-dress Mix and then re-seed or lay turf.

Here's a couple of helpful step-by-step videos on How to grow lawn from seed and How to lay instant turf which I trust you'll find of assistance in this process. 

Let me also mention the knowledgeable @Adam_W to see if there is anything I've missed or that he would vary from my approach.

Please let me know if you need further information or had any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
rvkiruba
Growing in Experience

Hi Mitchel,

This is very helpful.

My lawn area has similar issue. Because we were out of station, the weeds grown up every where.

So I applied the Weed Killer. They are all dead including some good grasses :unhappy:

My question is:

1. Some areas have fungus; In most of the areas, the soil became rough/harder. 

Do I need to dig the lawn/soil, shuffle it and aerat it so the soil can be loosen? if yes, what tool I need to do that? because its a big area. 

2. once I done step 1, I thought to fill the lawn area with more soil so it will have healthy platform.

Do i need fill Top Soil or River Sand to the whole area?

3. Do I need to use Lawn Fertilizer?

4. My lawn is around 2 years old. previously I believe we had Fine Rye Grasses (that's what the Kings Land guy said when I asked).

What I found was, the grasses became dry and dead when it's a heavy Summer. 

Do I need to go with Fine Rye Grass or Any other recommendation?

(some times i see, Rhizome or Stolons Grasses are growing up. Don't know how they are in the Lawn. Is it a good Grass to leave/grow?)

Please provide more suggestions.

My lawn pic is in below.

Regards,

Kiruba

IMG_6366.jpg

Agreed with @MitchellMc

Start it again from scratch. Good luck. Mitch’s advice is really good @onthejob 😊 Good luck and look forward to seeing your brand new lawn 

Oh geez that’s not looking good @rvkiruba  Good luck with it ! 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @rvkiruba,

A non-selective weed killer will destroy all plants it touches. It was recommended in the case above, as there was little to no grass to speak off. Not to worry, though, as it looks like you need a complete overhaul of this area anyway, and I would have likely recommended you kill off the remnants of the existing grass so it doesn't mix with the new.

The first thing I notice is the incredibly compacted soil. The area needs to be aerated desperately, and I recommend hiring a tiller and running over the area. Simply aerating with a manual tool might not be adequate. I'd then suggest you level the site and add a 40mm layer of topdressing. You can then select a more robust lawn like Sir Walter Buffalo. If you're not watering at least every other day during the peak of Summer, fine Rye grass is likely unsuitable for your conditions.

Here's a helpful step-by-step guide that you'll find useful: How to lay turf.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
rvkiruba
Growing in Experience

Thanks Mitchell.

Sure I will follow your instructions and will try my best to make the lawn better.

regards,

Kiruba

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects