Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Why is my native garden not absorbing water?

kj2801
Growing in Experience

Why is my native garden not absorbing water?

I have a native garden that isn't holding water. The Garden was established 2yrs ago in a spot that contained only yellow sand. We amended the sand into a nice soil. The plants have been thriving but recently I've noticed the soil isn't absorbing/holding water. I fertilise with Richgro Organic Native fertiliser aswell as Osmocote's Native fertiliser. I'm aware that compost or manures aren't recommended for use on natives so I'm wondering what I can add to the soil to make it hold onto some water? I know natives don't like too much moisture, however the soil is basically dry the day after I water. There is a layer of Pine Bark Mulch. Im wondering whether i should remove the pine mulch and place a layer of straw down and then replace the pine bark mulch over the top? I love the Vivantes Tripe C mulch but im guessing its not ideal for natives? I'm unsure what organic matter I can use on natives? I have read that cardboard can be soaked and made into a pulp that can be sprinkled under mulch? 

The Plants that are in the garden are:

Hardenbergia violacea

•Hardenbergia "White Out"

•Lomandra Verday 

•Miniture Pigface

•Helichrysum Licorice

Any advice will be greatly appreciated

Krystel

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Native garden not holding water

Hi @kj2801

Genarally speaking having a well draining garden (plant type depending )  is a bonus.

I use Pearlite and other mediums to type get a better water drainage happening around the root zone in clay so the opposite of your problem really. So If I water too much over  2minutes some water flows out of the garden  bed in to my neighbours yard as my garden higher level telling me I think I am over watering..

So I use an automatic watering  system at night during summer to try have some water in the root zone longer. I tell it to come on a little at evening and just before dawn.  I am sure this may not be  perfect.

I also use some water storage crystals at root level that swell up  used in moderation as a backup that  may suit your needs.

Hortico 500g Water Storage Crystals

I/N: 3010024

$14.98

Thank you for your reply. I currently water twice a week (Water Corp rules) in the late evening. I'm having to apply more water to keep it at a "barely damp" level. Natives do love well drained soil but mine is extremely hydrophobic. When I test the soil 24hours after last watering, the soil is practically dry. I would add clay etc however I would disturb the roots of the plants. 

Thank you for taking the time to share your ideas! The crystals sound like a good idea. I'll have to have a read about them!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @kj2801,

Manures and compost can adversely affect natives, and mushroom compost should be avoided entirely. 

Wood chips like Pine bark or Eucalyptus mulch are good for natives but don't pile the mulch up against the trunks and stems as they can lead to trunk rot.

On the two occasions you are able to water per week, how long would you spend watering each plant? I suspect with such restrictive watering times and your hydrophobic soil, you'd need to do a deep watering for each plant of around 5mins.

Let me mention a couple of our gardening experts, @mich1972 and @Noelle, to see if she has any recommendations. 

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Just make certain, @kj2801 , that any water storing products you use are native-plant friendly. Not all water-storing crystals are the same - some are like the acrylamide crystals used in nappies to hold urine and these types of products are not suitable for use on gardens! Read labels carefully.

Hi @Noelle 

Good to know  thanks re  crystals

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects