Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Bargain D.I.Y. grazing board/picnic table

AidanE
Finding My Feet

Bargain D.I.Y. grazing board/picnic table

After seeing large grazing boards selling for over $100 I thought I would have a crack at making one for my girlfriend. It turned out great and only cost around $40 to make.

I wanted to try a shou sugi ban finish but someone could easily make one of these with the natural finish of the panel and would only need a screw driver and 20 mins to make it.

20210530_174131.jpg

20210530_174321.jpg

I started with a specrite 1200 x 300 x 18 acacia fj laminated panel for $23

For the shou sugi ban finish I used a butane torch to burn the surface of the panel, then scrubbed back the ash using a small steel brush.

20210602_204124.jpg

20210530_143811.jpg

I sealed the wood with Gilly's wax and screwed on 4 x 150mm x 30mm adored round adjustable legs which were $3.80 each and came with screws. I used washers as the screws that came with the legs were 20mm and I didn't want them coming out the other side of the panel.

It is fairly lightweight, is a good size for a large grazing board, we have used it as a picnic table but it could also make a great plant stand and so cheap and easy to make.

20210530_183532.jpg

StevieB
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Bargain DIY grazing board/picnic table

Amazing job @AidanE. Thanks for sharing this with us and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community.

You're right – this project is so versatile. Lovely idea to use it as a plant stand too. It's fantastic that you've shared the costs, materials and how you put it together as I'm sure many community members will want to make their own.

We'd love to hear about any other projects you've got planned around the house and garden, and let us know if you need a hand. We're here to help.

Stevie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects