Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Benchtop dishwasher quick release connection

jenenev
Finding My Feet

Benchtop dishwasher quick release connection

So it appears that a lot of the old products recommended in previous posts have been discontinued and when I visited bunnings I was told to cut my inlet hose but it’s barely long enough as it is. So I used my big brain and came up with the following. Aerator adapter kit (plumbing section), nylex sprinkler adapter, 2 barbed connectors, and 2 it hose clamp things (all from the gardening section) and about 15 cm of hose from my garden (photos below for reference)

this is how I hooked mine up. Fancy it is not but functional it is. Aerator adapter and nipple to the faucet. The barbed connectors in each end of the hose with the clampy things, and the nylex sprinkler adapter screws into the machine hose. 

E40EBD33-938F-4AD9-A7CA-B2750DFBAE9B.jpeg

F533E4C1-ACE9-42E0-8730-DCA2F618ED09.jpeg

B6029A8C-7911-4E9A-9449-63E1F1E15ACA.png

28C23C2F-BA83-4FB8-9D00-65B0C366DFD3.png

192DB8C4-5546-4256-A670-0A6DBF064A32.png

  

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Benchtop Dishwasher quick release connection

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @jenenev. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for sharing your project.

Well done, that's an ingenious and functional way of connecting your dishwasher. If you can get a hold of a Holman 12mm Double Ended Hose Connector, it will remove the need for the hosed section, though you might need it in your case because of the dishwashers hose not being long enough.

Many thanks for sharing. I'll be pointing our members to your project when we get the question again.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Mitchell, I have been to two different Bunnings and they have no idea what parts I can use to connect my inlet hose from benchtop dishwasher to tap. I've been told it's impossible. I was also told to buy the Kinetic aeratior adaptor but it leaks and sprays everywhere. Tried plumbing tape then makes it worse. 

Also purchased the pope 2 way splitter so I could turn on tap for sink and not have to unscrew.

Is there an easy way? 

Can you please let me know what's available with pictures or links. 

Kind regards Fiona

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @fiona08. It's great to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about connecting a countertop dishwasher.

Although these countertop dishwashers are convenient to place on a benchtop, they still require the water inlet pipe to be connected to a 3/4inch threaded outlet. Typically, this outlet is located under your bench, not at the tap. Professional installation would be required to route the inlet hose through the benchtop to the outlet. We've seen some ingenious solutions to this issue which have been provided by our members, including the one above. 

The easiest solution I can come up with would be a Pope Indoor Tap Adaptor on the tap, a Nylex 12mm British Sprinkler Adaptor at the end of the inlet hose and a Holman 12mm Double-Ended Hose Connector to connect the two click-on fittings. If you can provide the link to the Pope splitter you've purchased, I can try to assist with solutions on how it can be installed. However, it will further complicate the installation.

Please be advised that these countertop dishwashers are supplied with a threaded fitting on their inlet hose and are designed for a permanent installation. It is not recommended to use click-on fittings inside your property if they are left unattended. 

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Thank you so much.

I'm off to Bunnings later today to return previous purchased part's and I'll buy the part's you suggest.

Screenshot_2022-05-21-18-41-16-42_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@fiona08,

Whilst you are at the store, check with one of our helpful team members to see if the Pope 2 way Brass threaded adaptor will screw onto the Kinectic 19mm Brass Dishwasher Adaptor. That would allow you to connect it to your tap thread. However, tap threads can either be male or female, and we'll need to check to see if the Kinetic adaptor will indeed fit your tap.

With the parts I suggested in the previous post, you'll be able to simply disconnect the fittings from your tap whilst the machine is not in operation. That way, you can use your tap as usual. If you want to use your tap and the dishwasher simultaneously, you'll need to go down the route of connecting the splitter.

As you've experienced, making this connection is not straightforward, so I'd encourage you to keep us updated until we discover a workable solution.

Mitchell

Hi again Mitchell,

I bought the suggested products today and connected it all up.

All connected ok, but as soon as I turn on the water, the 12mm nylon brass connector pop's off the double ended hose connector. I'm so sad. 

I really thought this would work. 

So many people find it working,. But me haha. 

Is there something I could use to keep it connected?

Duck tape? Haha. 

I feel so sad saving up for this dishwasher and now I can't seem to get it to work. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @fiona08

Don't give up and most importantly don't feel sad. There is a way around this, can you please post a photo of your tap setup. We'll need to see how you've put it together so we can assess what's going on. Can you also please point out which part lets go once you've turned the tap on. We'll then be able to make recommendations on how to improve your connection. 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Well, I've never heard of a Benchtop Dishwasher till now.

I had to Google and found this Choice site...

https://www.choice.com.au/home-and-living/kitchen/dishwashers/articles/benchtop-dishwashers-the-pros...

And from it...

Capture.PNG

Clearly Ashley has never actually tried to connect one - based on the above.

I just looked at my spouts - no thread at all.

But if they had - this would have to be the weakest link (as far as leaking goes) with connecting this plumbing?

2.PNG

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects