Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Bright and modern kitchen using paint

forrestcottage
Getting Established

Bright and modern kitchen using paint

My kitchen needed some and attention to make me want to feel like cooking in it. It's the hub of the home and it really made me sad and down. I saw a video of someone using paint to update their kitchen and thought to myself, I can do that! I did some research on paints and products and the next day went to Bunnings Warehouse to purchase what I needed to get started. I wanted to make it brighter and give it a modern refresh. 

Materials

I used: -

The Dulux Renovation range paints. I used the tile paint and purchased this tinted to Lexicon Quarter. 

I used the benchtop range in Flooded Gum colour. I used the cupboard paint in Lexicon Quarter as well. 

I changed the door handles to a modern black hardware. I changed the mixer tap to a black pull out spray version. 

I used Scotch Blue original painting tape. 

Tools

Sugar soap
Scotch Blue tape

200grit sandpaper

Sanding block

Rollers

Steps

Step 1

This is the before photo of the kitchen. It had cream cupboards, cream and brown pitcture tiles, maroon kickboards and a cream fleck benchtop.20200620_132539.jpg

Step 2

20200823_185323.jpg20200822_172551.jpg

First step was taking all the cupboard and drawer fronts off. I then used sugar soap and cleaned these all once laid out on the floor. I also cleaned the tiles and benchtop thoroughly with sugar soap three times over and taped up all the areas using the Scotch blue tape20200913_114756.jpg20200912_191619.jpg20200912_191657.jpg20200902_192234.jpg

Step 3

20200913_114756.jpg

I painted the tiles first with a roller and then painted the benchtop. I lightly sanded the tiles and benchtop first to rough the surface up to ensure the paint had the best ability to stick. I was already so happy with how it was looking. 

Step 4

20200924_185342.jpg

I changed the tap to a black mixer 

Step 5

20201005_150309.jpg20201005_150048.jpg20201005_150037.jpg

I painted all the cupboards when on the ground in three coats of the Dulux Renovation range cabinet doors paint. Then I left them for 7 days to cure. The benchtop was also left to cure for 7 days. Once cured, I put all the cupboards and drawer fronts back on with their new handles. 

Step 6

20210323_195200.jpg20201005_154956.jpg

I am absolutely over the moon with the finished result. 

projectmumdanni
Making a Splash

Re: Bringing our kitchen into a modern light

This looks great. A lot lighter and modern. Motivation to do my own!!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @forrestcottage. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for sharing your project.

What a sensation transformation! I trust you are just thrilled with the results. It's amazing what some elbow grease and laminate paint can achieve.

Many thanks for sharing your makeover with us, and I look forward to seeing what you tackle next!

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: Kitchen refresh using paint

Good Evening @forrestcottage 

I am impressed with the effort that you went to. Definently it has paid off! Big time. Something so simple as painting the doors and tiles and Boom! It comes up so nice, clean and modern.

Did you use a tile paint? I have been looking but not yet game enough to paint tiles. :smile: I have watched and seen peoples tile painted projects and they look good. The more I see people paint them the more I want to have a go myself.

You have modernised your kitchen nicely.

Dave

Thank you! It's made such a difference for such a small change. 

Hi Dave,

Thank you so much!

Yes, I used the Dulux renovation range tile paint. 

It was super easy and the tiles still look like they first did when I painted them. Noone believes me when I say I painted them. You wouldn't even know they've been painted. 

Definitely worth doing if you've got tiles you want to refresh. 

@forrestcottage 

So far all I have heard is positive stuff about tile paint :smile: Looks like its on the list! 

Thank you for letting me know :smile:

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects