Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Cake dome timber base

JoeAzza
Kind of a Big Deal

Cake dome timber base

IMG_4057.JPG

I recently bought a glass cake dome, it need a  base to sit on, so I made a timber base for it to sit on for cakes/muffins/donuts, etc.

I bought a a timber plank from Bunnings to cut and router to fit the glass dome. I could have used Tasmanian oak timber, and glued up to the size required, however  with the current price of timber, I decided to purchase pre glued timber board which was close enough to Tas Oak, just a lot cheaper.

Material, Specrite FJ GLULAM, 1000x405X18mm

IMG_4008.JPG

To cut the circle I cut a 3mm piece of mdf timber and used double side tape joined to the 18mm board.

IMG_4020.JPG

I marked the diameter of the size required , then cut access on my mitre saw.

IMG_4021.JPG

Using a circle cutting template with a plunge trimmer and a 6.5 router bit I cut the perimeter of the board.

IMG_4023.JPG

IMG_4024.JPG

When the perimeter was cut, I readjusted the template to cut the groove on the timber for the glass dome to set in.

IMG_4025.JPG

Router circle cutting template.

IMG_4026.JPG

Test fit dome , before removing the 3 mm mdf board, the board was used so I did mark the center of the base board.

IMG_4027.JPG

IMG_4028.JPG

Mdf board removed.

IMG_4030.JPG

IMG_4031.JPG

IMG_4032.JPG

IMG_4033.JPG

IMG_4034.JPG

IMG_4036.JPG

IMG_4037.JPG

Three coats of satin varnish.

IMG_4038.JPG

Finished product.

IMG_4057.JPG

IMG_4059.JPG

IMG_4060.JPG

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Cake dome timber base

Hi @JoeAzza

Thank you so much for sharing such a beautiful project and showing us the clear varnish you used to seal the timber. That circular jig you've built for yourself never fails to impress. I'm so glad you've had a chance to build this project and hope everything is going well. Would it be possible for you to tell us the technique you used to find the centre of the board? Did you purchase the cake dome from a shop or did you happen to chance upon it at the market? 

We look forward to seeing your next creation.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
JoeAzza
Kind of a Big Deal

Thank you @EricL 

I start with a square base, then just marked the lines from corner to corner, 

I bought the glass dome from Harris Scarf.

Hopefully more projects to come 🤞

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi @JoeAzza,

What a sweet project you have created! I am sure your friends and family will be seeking what goodies are inside when they visit. 

Katie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects