Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can you paint Ash Wood legs black?

hc14
Getting Established

Can you paint Ash Wood legs black?

Hi All, 

Wondering if someone could help with a painting question.
I've been looking at buying a dining table with Ash Wood legs. However, the one with Matte black finished legs is out of stock and not coming back in stock anytime soon. Only the "Natural Ash Wood" version is in stock.
Is it possible to repaint the legs in the matte black paint as per the pictures on the site? Will it retain the grain lines? 
i did a quick google and the 'Ebonizing' technique came up. Is that the only way or can i simply just sand back and brush/spray on a some black paint?

matte_black_ash_wood_legs.jpgnatural_ash_wood_legs.jpg

hc14
Getting Established

Re: Can you paint Ash Wood legs black?

Thanks @MitchellMc & @EricL. The painting was a success! 

I did a light sand and then used the Rust-Oleum Black Matt spray paint. 

thumbnail_IMG_2151.jpgthumbnail_IMG_2153.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @hc14 

Thank you very much for the update on your Ash Wood timber leg project. It looks fantastic and the grain really stands out. 

Please make sure to post an update, we look forward to seeing the table fully stable.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
hc14
Getting Established

Got the marble top on the legs and table looks great. 

Question though, I know its probably just the way the legs are designed (4 legs rather than one thick central leg), but i'm getting a bit of movement left/right on the table top. Legs have been screwed properly to the table top and it looks like the legs are flexing. I didn't notice this at the shop, but granted i only sat at the table for like 5 minutes.

Is there any way to stop/reduce the legs flexing?

2023-04-18_10-28-24.jpg2023-04-18_11-56-29.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

I wouldn't have thought the legs should flex @hc14, as they appear reasonably solid. If they are fixed securely to the top, the next thing I'd be checking is if they are all sitting on the floor evenly. There might be a couple of millimetre gap under one, which that is causing this movement. If there is a gap, that could easily be remedied by adhering a felt pad under it.

Mitchell

hc14
Getting Established

@MitchellMc, i've tightened screws for the legs to the table top and also put rubber pads under the adjustable feet of the legs. still has the swaying left and right. If only i could attach a video to show you.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @hc14

I suggest taking several short videos showing the swaying and attaching them to an email and sending it to workshop@bunnings.com.au. We can then have a look at what's happening.

Eric

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @hc14,

Just a reminder that you can also embed YouTube videos in your posts here on Workshop.

Please let us know if you need a hand. 

Jason

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects