Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can you use chalk paint with a spray gun?

Maureen53
Finding My Feet

Can you use chalk paint with a spray gun?

Will a LVLP gravity fed spray gun be suitable to spray my kitchen cupboards with chalk paint.

Does anyone have experience in using a spray gun with chalk paint?

If yes, can you offer any hints. Especially regarding thickness, filtering, if primer is required, best paint suggestions.

I have Tasmanian Oak varnished cupboards. Though they are in beautiful condition but they no longer suit my home decor. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Can you use chalk paint with a spray gun?

Hi @Maureen53,

You can use a spray gun with the Dulux range of chalked paints, but Rust-Oleum recommends a brush. This is partly because you'll lose some of the subtle nuances associated with chalked paints if sprayed. Brushstrokes, texture and the building up of layers won't be as noticeable with the sprayer, and you'll end up with a much more uniform finish. This might be the look you are going for. If you wanted the brushed effect and the convenience of the sprayer, you could have one person spray the paint and another following behind to lay it off with a brush. Doing a test section is always a good place to start. 

For the Dulux range of chalked paints, you'd use the Dulux 1L PRECISION Maximum Strength Adhesion Primer White.

Chalk paints aren't really renowned for being particularly durable, so it would be best to use a clear finish like Dulux 1L Design Clear Top Coat for additional protection in the kitchen.

You should find this guide useful from Wagner, one of our spray gun suppliers: How to spray chalk paints.

An LVLP gravity fed spray gun would be suitable, and by doing a few tests, you'll work out how much thinning with water you'll need.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects