Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

DIY dining table

AnitaP
Having an Impact

DIY dining table

20211114_095513.jpg

Just wanted to share the dining room table I made from lengths of pine. Quite a bit of time spent sanding this as most of the pine I got wasn't flat. Rounded over the edges with a router. Then gave it a stain and varnish. The hardest thing for me was making it stable. To help with stability I added aprons and some 45degree supports for the legs.

I also made the oak shelves above the windows for the plants. And made new door handles out of oak, using the router to give them a bit of a lip to grab on to.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: DIY dining table

That looks fabulous, @AnitaP. You must be very please with how it turned out. 

Did you have any construction pictures, or could you let our members know a little more about how you built it? What timber did you make the top out of, and was it a solid piece? It looks like it could be a relatively simple design and would make for a great project many of our members could complete. Any additional details you could provide would go a long way towards assisting others in achieving a similar result.

I love your styling, by the way.

I'll be looking forward to your next project. Many thanks for sharing.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks @MitchellMc . Yeah pretty simple once I figured out what to do. Kind of just jumped into it and worked it out along the way.

The top wasn't a solid piece. I used 30mm thick DAR pine for the top. I used varying widths (I thought I would make a pattern but once all joined and sanded, you couldn't see the joins, so any widths will do).

I dowelled each piece of pine together. Glued it up and clamped for 24hours.

Then ALOT of sanding with a belt sander until I had a flat surface as some of the pieces came warped.

Cut to desired length with a circular saw. Routed the edges with a round over bit.

Added a support piece at each end of the table where I wanted the legs to go.

Got these legs furniture legs  but I couldn't work out the bolt on the end. So I took it out and replaced it with a dowel screw. Then just screwed the leg into the table. dowel screws 

Added aprons by glueing and nailing them into the support pieces with a nail gun.

Then added a 45 degree support on each leg for further stability - don't judge the underside haha

20211115_125503.jpg

20211030_151534.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Wonderful @AnitaP. I trust our members will really appreciate those added details.

Congratulations on building a fantastic piece of furniture that I trust will last for many years to come.

Great job.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects