Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Floor repair or replace?

muna
Getting Established

Floor repair or replace?

image.jpg

image.jpg

 hi all. This is my first time trying to renovate the kitchen it’s there any chance of  or tips oh how I can repair this floor?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: floor repair or replace

Hello @muna 

Thank you for sharing your question about your proposed flooring renovation project. 

Can you please tell us, is your flooring real timber or is it clip on laminate flooring with a timber veneer? Looking at the photos you posted it looks like real timber. If it is, I suggest sanding it down and re-sealing the surface for a fresh new finish. 

However, if it is laminate flooring, it will need to be replaced as there is no repair method for damaged or worn-out laminated surfaces.

Here is a link to our best advice: How do you rejuvenate timber floors?

Here are some handy step-by-step guides:

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
muna
Getting Established

Thank you for your reply it’s a real timber floor. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @muna 

Thank you for that extra information about your flooring. If other parts of your flooring are showing the same type of wear and tear, I suggest sanding your floor and applying a new seal. 

Although a patch repair is not impossible it will be extremely difficult to match your current flooring finish. The patch repair on your flooring will then become very noticeable and you'll get uneven wear as time passes.   

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

muna
Getting Established

Thank you so much for your help I decided to replace the timber floor. What’s is the best  long last flooring? It’s a hybrid floor good choice as I got 6 kids running around and tipping water on the floor I’m I am looking for quality long lasting Floor. 

Much appreciated. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @muna 

I suggest looking at the Hybrid Waterproof Flooring system. It has a three-star wear layer for high foot traffic households and a 25-year residential warranty, plus it is 100% waterproof. The flooring will be safe no matter how many drinks are spilled.

I recommend visiting your local store and having a look at the colour samples and see which one is to your liking.

If you have any questions we can help with, please let us know. 

Eric

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @muna,

It would be great to explore your reasons for wanting to replace the floor. My colleague @EricL mentioned replacement of the floor earlier on in the discussion, only if it was a laminate floor, as it would be unrepairable. We certainly wouldn't recommend you replace a timber floor or even cover over it. Covering a beautiful timber floor that only requires a re-surface would only be done in rare circumstances. If you were to have the floor sanded and apply a hard coating like Cabot's CFP, it would be as durable or even more so than Hybrid vinyl flooring.

Perhaps you'd like to add the Hybrid vinyl flooring over the timber because you haven't found the coating all that durable. You got some not-so-typical wear damage in that portion, and this wouldn't be considered ordinary wear. I suspect the floor coating wasn't applied thick enough in this area, and it's worn down prematurely, or the floor hasn't had the coating rejuvenated in many years.

Although there might be some benefit to added flooring over this timber floor, such as an instant refresh, you are effectively downgrading from a lovely hardwood floor that many people would dream of. I'd recommend you grab a few quotes on the cost of having the floor sanded and re-coated with a quality product. If you do that, the results will last, and you'll have a beautiful-looking floor for many years.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

muna
Getting Established

Thank a lot for your reply

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects