Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Food platter board

JoeAzza
Kind of a Big Deal

Food platter board

0BAF6C1C-E8D3-4DFF-B629-1520B70E4276.jpeg

EDB4AEEB-8499-4394-92BA-387CF8BBE2B1.jpeg

B7B2BBB6-308F-4495-811F-56A03F8FAA78.jpeg

3C0A1B3B-AACD-437A-8D54-A104B3AEAAF4.jpeg

54B412C0-D0B9-4930-8C3F-34B541911223.jpeg

I made this food platter board using tassie oak and decking timber, I am not sure what type it is, but it was bought from Bunnings, very dense and hard to machine, I know it’s not merbau, next time I go to Bunnings I’ll find out what it’s called, I originally bought it for a planter box. The food platter was  cut and hand planned before gluing, I used Titebond 3, this glue is water resistant, u then clamped all the pieces of timber together and let it dry overnight. I then used a small router with a flat 22mm router bit to plane each side, top and bottom face, then proceeded to sand the board, I also beveled the edges to make it easier to lift the board, once fully sanded, using different grades of sandpaper, I wet the board  and let it dry, then reds fed with fine grit sandpaper, this was done to allow the fibres to raise when wet. Finally I gave the board two coats of grape seed oil, let it soak overnight, then a coating mixture of beeswax and coconut oil.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Food platter board

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @JoeAzza. It's fabulous to have you join us and many thanks for contributing your project.

That's a fantastic looking chopping board and I really like the design. It's wonderful that you have included the details of construction as I trust any members looking to make one for themselves will appreciate it.

We look forward to hearing about your other projects around the house and garden and would encourage you to let us know if you ever need assistance or have something to share. I'm sure you'll find loads of inspiration on the site as our clever and creative members are posting their own projects here every day.

Great job.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: Food platter board

Thankyou 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects