Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Getting the steps right

JillofallTrades
Growing in Experience

Getting the steps right

I am renovating a kitchen/dining area - removing wallpaper and painting walls/trim, pulling out all old cupbaords/sink/stove and installing a 'new' second hand kitchen, pulling up vinyl and masonite underlay to polish floorboards.

Would like some advice as to the 'right' order to do things...floors first so that dust doesn't go on new paint? Get entire floor done before installing new cabinets or install cabinets and then do exposed floor? When should I paint ceilings?

Thanks in advance for any advice offered 🙏

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Getting the steps right

Good for you @JillofallTrades. How exciting! We are really looking forward to seeing the results of all your hard work. 

I'm sure helpful members like @ProjectPete will be more than happy to assist with some advice on how best to approach the reno. We have amazing members sharing helpful advice and project inspo on the site every day. 

Feel free to post whenever you need a hand. And please don't hesitate to get in touch if you ever need assistance getting the most from the Workshop site, or have any feedback about how we can make Workshop more useful to you.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
ProjectPete
Kind of a Big Deal

Ah you're in for some great (and challenging, but in a good way) times @JillofallTrades 

• Start with the floors to the point of sanding but make sure they're very well protected for the rest of the reno - with fabric/canvas drop sheets, not dodgy plastic ones. Save the polishing til the very end.
  • Paint the ceiling and walls next. Mark any areas where there'll be wall cabinetry and save some time/paint by not painting those areas, just overlap the marked out area by 100mm to ensure coverage.
  • Install cabinetry and sink and appliances.

Keen to see some before photos and hear about how you go with this project.

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo

Thanks so much for the guidance. I will make sure I take photos along the way. It will be a slow process due to physical limitations, but really looking forward to the challenge.
The whole house will have carpet and vinyl taken up eventually and have floors polished - as far as I can tell they haven't seen daylight since the house was built in the 70s.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects