Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How can I save vinyl wrap kitchen doors?

Babs49
Just Starting Out

How can I save vinyl wrap kitchen doors?

The vinyl wrap on my otherwise good kitchen is delamiating. Is there any thing I can do with the cupboards to fix them or do I need to replace  them all?

any help appreciated 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How can I save vinyl wrap kitchen doors?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Babs49. Many thanks for your question, I'd be happy to provide advice.

It's great to have you join us and I'm sorry to hear about you vinyl wrap delaminating. If you could provide some pictures of the affected areas then I'm sure it would be helpful for our members in giving some great advice. Many suppliers offer a significant warranty period for vinyl wrapped products, so it would be worth checking to see if they are still covered under it. I've reached out to one of our suppliers to ask if there is potentially a way to glue the vinyl back in place. Due to the method of adhering the vinyl, which is a vacuum forming process, there was not a glue that they felt confident suggesting.

You could try a test section using contact adhesive in an inconspicuous area to see if that would solve the issue. I'd be relatively confident that it would work, but only after checking on the warranty situation first.

Please let me know if you needed further information or had any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks very much for your reply.

Would it be possible to use heat to remove the vinyl wrap and then sand and paint the drawer and door fronts?

It would be a lot of work but save a fortune if it worked.

Babs

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi Babs (@Babs49) ,

It is possible, but that depends on how well the rest of the vinyl has adhered.  You might find you can only remove some of it easily. Vinyl wrapped panels will normally have their edges covered with a clear adhesive film to prevent them lifting up. Does yours appear to have that film and if not do you think to apply some would stop the lifting of the edges?

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects