Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How can I transform this kitchen?

joanna08
Just Starting Out

How can I transform this kitchen?

Hey guys! 

I tried Kaboodle but i suck! haha 

If anyone has any ideas on how to transform this kitchen into something beautiful, that would be amazing! 

Notes: 

- kitchen is 3.5m long and 2.2m wide

- I don't have any styles in mind apart from white and stone benchtops

- I'd like the top cupboards to go all the way up

image2.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How can I transform this kitchen?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @joanna08. It's fantastic to have you join us and many thanks for sharing your project.

You might like to provide our members with more details about what you would like to achieve with this renovation. Are you happy with the layout and want to mimic it with new cabinetry? When you say you want the cupboards to go all the way up, did you want additional storage above the standard height cabinetry? If so, you might like to let us know the ceiling height. Also, do you have a budget in mind for this renovation?

I'm sure you'll find some great inspiration reading through our Top 10 most popular kitchen projects.

Let me mention @redracer01 and @NickiM to get their thoughts.

I look forward to hearing more about your project and following along with the transformation.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
NickiM
Having an Impact

Hi @joanna08 ~
Great little kitchen you have here. Are you planning on using the same layout and appliances?

Elongating the upper cabinets is a great idea, for more storage and to draw the eyes up, in such a small space. Definitely white / off white will give it the appearance of a bigger brighter area. Possibly even changing out the downlights for something wider and brighter. Think about ‘push to open’ upper cabinets / slim line handles that are affixed to the base of the door fronts or a groove etched into the base of the door front to ‘pull to open’, as this will appear less distracting or congested in a small space. 

Is that vents on either side of the window? Just check if these are still required or if they can be repositioned to allow for higher cabinetry. 

These are just suggestions. Love to hear more about your thoughts for the redesign.

Mathy
Becoming a Leader

Hey @joanna08  - are you wanting to replace the kitchen or, make the cupboards white and install a stone bench top? Appliances? Also it looks like you’ve got super high ceilings - from my experience, wall unit to the ceiling are a waste of space and money. Unless, you’re happy to store things away that you don’t use very often, because you’ll need a ladder to reach the top shelves :smile:

redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Hello @joanna08 

Since your ceiling is so high I can understand why you would want to have your cabinets go all the way up. Please note that doing so will have a heat transfer effect inside your cabinet. When you open them you will notice that they will be warm and will not be an ideal condition for food items inside your wall cabinets. Unless your ceiling is insulated then this phenomenon will occur! I only mention it as my pantry is currently in the same state. I would rather suggest that you have a bulkhead built to cover the gap between the wall cabinet and the ceiling giving you that "all the way to ceiling look" your after. Plus it is a cheaper alternative to having custom cabinets. I left most of the appliances in the same place with exception of the pantry that I moved to the other side near the fridge. I don't know if you want a dishwasher but there is a provision for it and can be taken out and a cabinet put in it's place should you decide otherwise. Cook top and oven are in the same spot to save on having to pay the sparky to move the electrical points. The sink stays in the same spot near the window and I have moved your microwave into a cabinet giving maximum bench top prep space! Enjoy the drawings and please post should you have any questions. Good luck and stay safe!

Cheers,

Red

joanna1.jpgjoanna2.jpgjoanna3.jpgjoanna4.jpg

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Many thanks for taking the time to put this design together for us @redracer01. I trust it will be of great inspiration to @joanna08.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects