Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How can I update my 2 pack kitchen on a tiny budget?

Livvy
Just Starting Out

How can I update my 2 pack kitchen on a tiny budget?

Hi!  Any 2 pack paint Novices out there?

kitchen 1.jpgKitchen 2.jpgkitchen 3.jpg

I am a beginner!  My budget has shrunk due to the harsh reality of life, therefore I am wanting to proceed with a DIY Kitchen Reno.  Nothing too major of course.  However, as I live in a small apartment, thought it could be manageable if I break down the tasks.  Is it at all possible to reinstall my drawers and cupboards?  The screws have come loose and the quality of the the materials is either old or cheap, or both!  Eg, the rolling drawers are "struggling".  Also, last question............drum roll...........can I paint my own 2 pac kitchen a different colour and buy new handles for them.  The unslighty cream is ghastly now, it is sunbleached so now I am also wondering - will the new paint require UV protection, I have no idea, sorry.  More pictures can come if you need.  THANK YOU in advance!  (am having same problem with the bathroom cupboards)

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How can I update my 2 pack kitchen on a tiny budget?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Livvy. It's fantastic to have you join us and many thanks for your questions.

We have a range of draw sliders which could be used to replace the existing hardware and they would certainly allow the draws to slide smoothly. There are also suitable options for replacing the hinges and handles.

I'll have to get back to you after the weekend about painting over the 2 pack coating. We have the Dulux Renovation Range however it and the primer are designed for plastic-wrapped and laminate cabinetry. There might be the option to use the Dulux 1L White Precision Maximum Strength Adhesion Primer over the 2 pack which I will enquire about and let you know.

Paint is generally designed to resist a certain amount of UV damage. I would normally expect this amount of yellowing of the paint if it was subjected to direct sunlight for hours at a time and only after several years. There seems to be a high degree of yellowing from that 2 pack.

Please let me know if you need further information or had questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects